Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Universal's Classic Monster Box Set

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Universal's Classic Monster Box Set

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-01, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like a great box set. All the classic monster movies that I grew up with. But at $140 on deepdiscountdvd.com, I have to get a second opinion. Anyone want to share their thoughts on this box set?
Old 04-19-01, 06:23 PM

It's a great set, my personal favorite is the wolf man dvd. All the dvd's have great transfers, and look wonderful. The audio is a dolby digital 2.0 mono, and these films have never sounded better. All 8 dvd's have trailers, commentaries, documentaries, pretty much every thing you could ask for. If your a fan of classic horror films I doubt you would be disappointed.
Old 04-19-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't buy the box set, but I did get five of them individually through my Columbia House enrollment (which is a great deal, if you haven't joined yet), and then I picked up Creature From the Black Lagoon separately. I agree, these are really awesome discs, loaded with great extras, and they're just classic, history-making films. Great repeat viewing value.
Old 04-19-01, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely great! I bought sight unseen and was very happy! Every disc has its faults (bad print of Bride, bad commentary on Mummy, Phantom is a bad movie but the features rule, etc.) but they are all worth owning. I got mine for $81 shipped but I got really lucky. Look for a good price.
Old 04-20-01, 02:23 AM

Has anyone seen this box set for less than $100 anywhere (recently)?
Old 04-20-01, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KingTutankhamen
Has anyone seen this box set for less than $100 anywhere (recently)?
As Ky-Fi noted, the set can be had for much less $100 by acquiring them as enrollment selections at Columbia House (averages out to a bit less than $10/DVD). Reference the CH threads in the DVD Bargains forum for details.
Old 04-20-01, 10:09 AM

I have now 6 discs that I got via Columbia House. Should I pick up 2 more to complete my collection? I don't have Creature From the Black Lagoon and Phantom of the Opera. I've never seen those movies. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-20-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those of you in Canada (or with good friends there) I picked up a copy of this set at Futureshop. It was in the discount bin, but priced at 159.99 CDN, or about 118 USD with exchange after tax (I bought in Ontario so 159.99 X 1.15= 184, multiplied by .64 to get US $= 118). The marked price was 159.99 CDN and it rang up that way so it may be the normal price there. Damn good deal for a US MSRP of 200.

Old 04-20-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have acquired all but The Phantom individually. Great, great stuff. The documentaries and commentaries are terrific. I was originally just going to get Frankenstein and Dracula, but they were so good I had to have more.