Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Distance limits for a/v cables?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Distance limits for a/v cables?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 06:29 PM
SEH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there distance limits for a/v cables? I am moving soon and want to put my tele on one wall, with the components on another wall. I expect that the total distance could be as much as 30 feet or more from (I am not sure because I have to negotiate placement with the wife).

I understand that there has been some posts addressing speaker wire gauge and cost. I haven't found anything about s-video and rca cables and maximum distances before there is signal degredation.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-01, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your video connections will suffer the most from extended distance. They will be more susceptible to signal loss and interference. You will most likely have to make your cables as well because of the length you require. I am not sure of anyone who sells cables in the lengths you want but I am sure there are, maybe someone else knows that one.

My suggestion is to try it first if you can buy/make the cables before you commit to anything.