Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How Can I Find Out If My

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How Can I Find Out If My

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-01, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I find out if my dvd player will play divx dvds? If it does not should I buy a divx dvd player? Are the divx dvds as good as regular dvds? I know there alot cheaper than regular dvds. Thanxs in advance!!
Old 04-09-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, No, No.
Old 04-09-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Twiztid
How can I find out if my dvd player will play divx dvds? If it does not should I buy a divx dvd player? Are the divx dvds as good as regular dvds? I know there alot cheaper than regular dvds. Thanxs in advance!!
Aaaaaaaaaah! (Scream of terror)

Stay away from DIVX. I hope your DVD player does not play DIVX. DIVX is cheaper than DVD's because, um, they lost. DVD won, if you want to look at it that way. You're basically asking how to play Betamax

DIVX movies are cheap, because you have to pay to play them each time, unlike a DVD. The DIVX service is closing down in June of this year, and when the service is gone all DIVX movies will become coasters and DIVX player will become boat anchors.

Stay away from anyone trying to get you interested in Phillips CD-I as well...
Old 04-09-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any of those wretched Divx discs (or players, for that matter) still available? I would have thought all have been sold at a tremendous loss just to be rid of the damn things.
I remember back when the Divx vs. open DVD contoversy was still brewing, and when Divx finally bit the dust, the local Circuit Sh|tty was blowing out all their discs for like .99, and I got tossed out of the store for remarking what fancy coasters they were selling. They didn't find that amusing. I did.