Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Second HT Options??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-01, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to put some additional HT gear in my home as a second HT. This equipment will go in a living room approx. 20' x 15' with an 8' ceiling.

I have been looking at three receivers, Yamaha HTR-5250 or 5280 (not really interested in 5280 for the gimmicky 6.1 matrix/phantom channel),Onkyo 484 or 575x and Denon 1801 or 2801. My options are based on relative price and the fact that I need A/B front speaker connections, as I want to keep an old pair of Bose 601 floorstanding (still run great) in the front for playing music only (I really like the reviews and consumer comments on the Outlaw 1050, but alas no A/B in front and older DAC's). I have heard the Yamaha and Denon in a side by side demo. The Denon seems marginally "warmer" than the Yammy, especially for music playback. I have not been able to demo Onkyos. I am trying to get a decent receiver without breaking the bank.The Onkyo 484 is attractive as I can get it for under $200, DTS/DD and binding posts all around incl. A/B in front! I currently have a Yamaha in HT 1, and it has been great (I even use the DSP's from time to time!). Any thoughts you can impart would be appreciated. I'm looking to take the plunge in the next week. Right now I'm leaning towards the Denon 2801 or 1801 (I wonder if the extra money for the 2801 is really worth it, given the overall reviews I have seen?).One concern I have is power of Onkyo 484 and Denon 1801 though. I will most likely get speakers with sensitivity > 88db (see below)but I have never bought a receiver with output less than 70 watts RMS, 20-20,000 htz.If I wanted to spend around $1,000, the decision would be easier, Denon 3801.

As far as speakers go,I'm considering Energy Take 5's, Paradigm Cinema Series or Micro's and Pinnacle CC surround package. Any thoughts on these options. The press seems to very good on all, for different reasons.

Thanks much.
Old 04-01-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the outlaw is a fine sounding receiver; if you wanted to go this route you could add your own speaker A/B switch. another option would be a NAD T571 or T560. refurbished models w/ NAD warranty are available for < $600. for reasons i don't fully understand, NAD gets very little air play on this forum despite their excellent build quality and sound.

btw: none of the receivers you mentioned will deliver their stated power rating w/ all 5 channels driven (the NAD will).