DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with Panasonic A120 problems?

Old 03-08-01, 09:25 PM

here is a list of what it is doing:

1- The audio signal kept going off/on/off while watching Unforgiven. Remove the disc and cleaned it with no problems after that.

2- I put Kings of Comedy and around 30 minutes into it, the audio signal started going off/on/off again. I tried removing the disc but, the player would not open the drawer to remove the disc. I had to disconnect it from the electrical outlet and reconnect. I was then able to remove the disc, clean it but, it continued to screw up the audio.

3- I put Tommorrow Never Dies and it worked fine at least for the initial scene. No problems trying to remove the disc.

4- Put Fear and right off the bat, the player locked, and the screen saver was pixelated and scrambled on the t.v. screen. Again, I had to disconnect the player and reconnect in order to remove the disc.

BY THE WAY, FEAR AND KINGS OF COMEDY WERE RENTALS

QUESTION;

1- Is it time to let go the player and buy a new one? I purchased it in April of 1999 and had no problems with it till today.

2- Or, should I get it looked at first and see how much it may cost to repair versus buying a new one?

Thanks ahead,

Ian B.
Old 03-08-01, 11:34 PM
Cool New Member

I just finished getting my A115 fixed. It exhibited pixelation, and refused to play certain discs. These machines are notorious for having the optical pickup fail. Here's about what it costs: $45 for an estmate, and around $150 for the part. $200 to fix it all together(if it's the optical pickup). I only had my machine a year.
I refused to pay, even though my warranty had expired. I contacted the Panasonic customer call center, explained my problems, and by being nice, yet persistant, I got them to agree to pay for the diagnostic. That only took me a couple weeks, and half a dozen calls. You have to understand, I was not inclined to pay $200 to fix it after only a year.
Once the diagnostic was fixed, they waffled. Basically they stopped returning my calls. I wrote a nice letter to the CEO's of Panasonic and Matsushita, and presto.. They fixed it for free. They will pay to fix it if you are persistant, even if the warranty is expired. The customer is always right, especially when dealing with large companies. Be persistant, and they will cave.
Old 03-09-01, 12:17 PM

2 years ago when i first purchased a DVD player I bought the A112 from costco and had this pixelization happen after LESS than a week! So i returned it and got the A120 and havent had a problem. Did you try using a lens cleaner?? I know someone who had this problem and that seemed to fix it. Good luck. But if it does cost $200 to get fixed I hope you're just gonna buy a new one
Old 03-09-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My ex roomate had a pixelation problem with his A-110 a year and a half after getting it.

I have had my A120 for 1.5 years now, and have had no problems with it. (knock on wood)
Old 03-09-01, 06:51 PM

For those of you having problems with the A110 and several other of the older models, read this thread from HTF for possible help.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/034447.html

Hope it helps..

Alfer