DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap DVD Player?

Old 02-26-01, 11:43 AM

I'm looking to buy a cheap DVD player for a friend of mine, basically as an introduction to DVD. It doesn't have to have any of the "works," but it would be nice if it could last at least 6 months. Maybe close to the $100 range? Does anybody know 1)if any online stores carry something like this or 2)what B&M stores that exist in NY would have it?
Old 02-26-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Walmart and BestBuy were carrying cheap players for around $100......but honestly....I would be embarrassed to give one of these to my friend!!! They are absolute junk....maybe if you buy your friend a gift card to apply toward a better player...then he/she can fork out another $100-$150 and get a pretty decent player!!!
Old 02-26-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you check around, maybe you can use one of the rebate deals to get a better player for slightly more..
Old 02-26-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen an ORITRON player and it played discs just fine, no glitches or problems that I could tell. Although I couldn't tell if the picture was that great, if you're looking for a bargain player, you can probably find one for $100. Otherwise, you can pick up some name brand stuff for $150-200, which would be a better investment. Occasionally, I'll see the KLH model for $89, but I can't vouch for it's dependability. Try audioreview.com.
Old 02-26-01, 01:08 PM

go to technetamerica.com and get the sony s360d for about $190 shipped, and there is $50 rebate for the player. but call sony to make sure that you can qualify for the rebate if you buy the player from technetamerica.com.
Old 02-26-01, 02:50 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by DigIt
Occasionally, I'll see the KLH model for $89, but I can't vouch for it's dependability. Try audioreview.com.
I tried buying that piece of crap. After going through two lemons, I gave up on it. Save your money.
Old 02-26-01, 03:05 PM

I'll check on the ones between the $89 POS and the $199 mail-in-rebate. Below $150 and above $100 sounds fair. Oh, and thank you for helping me buy my friend something cheap! (or modestly priced, in sales terminology)
Old 02-26-01, 08:43 PM

I don't know where you are at but I noticed in this Sunday's Fry's ad that they had the Toshiba 1600 for $149.00, limit one per customer. I thought that was a good deal. I have the older version the 2109, have over 80 moives in my library and have had absolutely no problem.