Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-01, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a new sub and surround sound and I was wondering if there is a site or suggestions on how to get the thing set up.(ie. placement and all the controls that go along with the receiver. I am new to these things so go easy. Thanks. My room is pretty big(18x20). I have heard about the avia disc but I can't afford it right now so I am just looking for some quick fixes until then. Thanks

Old 02-22-01, 08:09 PM

Hi jhiter,

First of all, congrats on your new system. It is definitely exciting when you get new toys like these! If you'd rather not spend the cash for Avia (I don't know if they offer these for rental - the last time I rented a DVD or went in a Blockbuster was in 1998), then many newer DVDs include THX setup menus that allow you to tweak your system to some extent. I've used them at a friend's house since he didn't have Avia or Essentials either, and it worked in a pinch. And, yes, you DO need to lower your brightness that much!!!

Off the top of my head, both Fight Club and Terminator 2:Ultimate Edition have these setup menus. And either would be an EXCELLENT choice for a DVD purchase (I, of course, would recommend buying both...) I'm sure there are several others, but I'm too lazy to go through my collection. Anyone else know of any?

Hope that helps...
Old 02-23-01, 05:33 PM

Thanks, I have had Fight Club for almost a year and had no clue that was on there. It actually did help even out my surround and make my picture look a little better. There are just so many controls on my receiver and I have no clue what to change and how to tweak my system to make it sound good. I know I should go get Avia or something but they are just to expensive after I threw that money on my system. If any of you have any tricks or general ways to peak this system. I might add I have a Kenwood receiver and I just bought that Sony Sawm40 that was talked highly about on here. Thanks for any of the help.
Old 02-23-01, 11:19 PM

Just watched Gladiator after just a few adjustment to the video through the THX thing on FIght Club and it is like a whole new movie. THe picture on my TV is very nice now. The factory setting just sucked.
Old 02-24-01, 04:48 PM

Congrat j on joining the Wonderful World of HT !!

If you (or someone you know) belongs to Netflix, they rent Video Essentials DVD (including the blue film strip to correctly adjust your TV).

Just wanted to let ya know..

Alfer

p.s. How do you like your sub?? I got mine in October and absolutely love it...my room (see pix) is about the same size plus vaulted ceiling...
Old 02-24-01, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get the $24.95 Avia DVD at Half.com .... use the $5 off coupon found at this site and right now Half.com has free shipping... $19.95 shipped ... thats a steal and a great HT set-up DVD ... HT system looks and sounds great now
Old 02-25-01, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by cubanx
Get the $24.95 Avia DVD at Half.com .... use the $5 off coupon found at this site and right now Half.com has free shipping... $19.95 shipped ... thats a steal and a great HT set-up DVD ... HT system looks and sounds great now
Thanks cubanx, I've had a HT set-up for about 2 years now, but from what I've been hearing lately about this AVIA disc, I want to check it out. The cheapest one on there now is 32.95, but for 5 off and free shipping I think I may pick it up. This is about $15 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it online! Thanks!