Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How to raise my DVD Player over my Receiver......?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How to raise my DVD Player over my Receiver......?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-01, 01:33 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, I probably shouldn't have the DVD player over the receiver, but space limitations are an issue. I have recently opened another space in my built in cabinets, but I don't think my cables will reach (plus, because it is behind a wood door, it almost has to be there because of the placement of my remote extender).

Ok, that said, I want to give just a bit more clearance to the DVD player above the receiver. I have had a Panasonic A120 for almost 2 years without any problems. Any kind of special "feet" anyone has used? Also, can I use some of those "furniture leg cups" or something similar. Obviosuly, I don't want anything made out of a material that can easily break off and fall inside the receiver.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and lest anyone want to spam me on placement, I will be taking a look this weekend to see if my cables would allow me a new location......
Old 01-26-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know this will sound silly but this trick will kill two birds with one stone, raising your DVD player and reducing vibration to your DVD player.

The trick: Buy some raquet balls and very carefully cut two of them in half to give you 4 halves. Place them under each corner of your dvd player with the rounded side down.

This will provide good ventalation. Reducing the vibration will open up your sound-stage and it looks pretty cool too.

Just a suggestion...

------------------
I am the one who calls himself I AM!
Old 01-26-01, 03:14 PM

Do you have a solid shelf seperating the receiver and player? Provided you do and their is adequate ventilation in the back to allow for heat disappation then you should be ok. If you are placing the dvd player directly over the receiver by using some other material to prop the legs up a bit higher you are probably doing your equipment no favours. Bear in mind that heat is the easiest way to damage the lens in your dvd player, particularly if it is a plastic composite lens as many still seem to be. In general I'd try to allways locate the dvd player below the receiver, with the receiver at the top most location where the most ventilation is. I know my receiver puts out enough ambient heat to cook a slab of meat.

[This message has been edited by Furious (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 01-27-01, 09:51 AM

Uhm, what's wrong with having the dvd player sitting on top of the receiver?
Old 01-27-01, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by MichaelBlanton:
<HR>

Well.....most receivers I have seen have their ventilation vents on top of the receiver. You never want to block these vents by placing an object on top of the unit. Secondly.....if your dvd player is not ventilated properly by keeping it in a cool environment.....your player could heat up causing it to scramble your images on the screen!!! I have experienced this first hand when I had my dvd player within a cabinet. Moved it outside the cabinet and have not had the problem since....my receiver is inside the cabinet and puts out alot of heat which did not help my dvd player at all when it was inside the cabinet. I cannot imagine having my dvd player sitting on top of my receiver for this reason alone.

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-27-01, 03:00 PM

<HR>

Uhm, hot air rises?
Old 01-27-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in a similar vein... has anyone ever found a little shelf or hutch (or even a printer stand) that would do the trick for this? i've been looking for something to raise my receiver over my DVD player and have been looking off and on for what would essentially boil down to 3 pieces of wood. i just can't find anything that will work.

we'll be moving soon and i don't want to invest in a big entertainment center or even a full-sized audio stand if we're going to have to move it and don't even know if it will fit in the new apartment very well... any ideas about a temporary solution? (otherwise i may have to revert to racquetballs...) :>
Old 01-27-01, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by palebluedot:

This will provide good ventalation. Reducing the vibration will open up your sound-stage and it looks pretty cool too.
<HR>

Ok, I was going to make a little joke about raquetballs 'looking cool' under some audio equipment, but then I re-read your post and have to ask:
please explain what vibration from a DVD player has to do with 'opening the soundstage', and what would a reciever (or any other component that doesn't move, for that matter) have to do with causing that.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Exterminate all rational thought

[This message has been edited by DVD_O_Rama (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-28-01, 12:47 AM

I'm curious about the vibration too! Please explain.

-Gonnosuke
Old 01-28-01, 01:00 AM

Well, vibration plays a major roll in jitter picked up in the optics and in the clock circuit. I was a skeptic at first but when I tried it I couldn't believe my ears. It is more noticeable on a cd player than a DVD player but with no vibration going to the chassis of the unit the sound-stage opened up and bass response was tighter. My dampining technique was different than the raquet balls. I used big zip-lock bags filled with sand, one under and one on top of the unit. This is not as aesthetically pleasing as the raquet balls.

------------------
Old 01-28-01, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, vibration plays a major roll in jitter picked up in the optics and in the clock circuit. I was a skeptic at first but when I tried it I couldn't believe my ears. It is more noticeable on a cd player than a DVD player but with no vibration going to the chassis of the unit the sound-stage opened up and bass response was tighter. My dampining technique was different than the raquet balls. I used big zip-lock bags filled with sand, one under and one on top of the unit. This is not as aesthetically pleasing as the raquet balls.

<HR>

For such a dramatic difference in audio quality, did you notice a change in video as well? Also, what do you think was causing the chasiss of your DVD player to vibrate?

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 01-28-01, 11:40 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
For such a dramatic difference in audio quality, did you notice a change in video as well? Also, what do you think was causing the chasiss of your DVD player to vibrate?

<HR>

No noticable difference in video. Vibration can be picked up from everything. The washing machine in your basement transfers vibration to you floor into the wall into the floor above it into your audio rack. Your speakers and subwoofer really cause a lot of vibration in the room especially when its cranked. Many of the high end audio furniture companys make "isolated" shelves to help reduce vibration. Here is a good example of that http://www.lovanaudio.com/productinfo.htm
Another thing is if your speaker stands and audio racks are able to be filled with sand, do it. This will help with vibration and sand is the best thing to use because sand is mostly silica which converts vibration into heat energy and disperses it, instead of transfering it.

------------------
Old 01-28-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No noticable difference in video. Vibration can be picked up from everything. The washing machine in your basement transfers vibration to you floor into the wall into the floor above it into your audio rack. Your speakers and subwoofer really cause a lot of vibration in the room especially when its cranked. Many of the high end audio furniture companys make "isolated" shelves to help reduce vibration. Here is a good example of that http://www.lovanaudio.com/productinfo.htm
Another thing is if your speaker stands and audio racks are able to be filled with sand, do it. This will help with vibration and sand is the best thing to use because sand is mostly silica which converts vibration into heat energy and disperses it, instead of transfering it.

<HR>

I have never had a problem with vibration out of any of my equipment, back from the beginning of my modest set-up to my current set-up. Maybe I'm lucky?
I would wager that quality of components has a lot to do with jitter interfering with your transport's optics moreso than your equipment vibration caused by outside sources (unless you have something physically powerful enough to shake your equipment stand/rack/cabinet next to it). I have six powered subs in my HT right now, and and during bass-intense scenes at full-scale SPL (The Haunting dts comes to mind) the entire house does tend to vibrate, but I have never noticed a problem with audio/video playback. I would also wager that any vibration that would interfere with audio playback would also cause video problems as well. I don't see how one could be affected and not the other. If audio was 'improved' by the sandbag technique I wonder why video was not? Isn't it the same unit playing both?
I've spent quite a bit of money on my equipment, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't enjoy looking at it as well. The thought of sandbags (or raquetballs) in my equipment cabinet is not a pleasant thought.
As with everything in the A/V world, YMMV.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 01-28-01, 03:54 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
I have never had a problem with vibration out of any of my equipment, back from the beginning of my modest set-up to my current set-up. Maybe I'm lucky?
I would wager that quality of components has a lot to do with jitter interfering with your transport's optics moreso than your equipment vibration caused by outside sources (unless you have something physically powerful enough to shake your equipment stand/rack/cabinet next to it). I have six powered subs in my HT right now, and and during bass-intense scenes at full-scale SPL (The Haunting dts comes to mind) the entire house does tend to vibrate, but I have never noticed a problem with audio/video playback. I would also wager that any vibration that would interfere with audio playback would also cause video problems as well. I don't see how one could be affected and not the other. If audio was 'improved' by the sandbag technique I wonder why video was not? Isn't it the same unit playing both?
I've spent quite a bit of money on my equipment, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't enjoy looking at it as well. The thought of sandbags (or raquetballs) in my equipment cabinet is not a pleasant thought.
As with everything in the A/V world, YMMV.

<HR>

I agree on the looks of these anti-vibration tricks, but these are of course DIY tricks. There are comercially available items you can buy like http://www.vibrapod.com/ that you would use in place of the original feet or under the feet of your equipment. Also, you don't notice a difference in sound quality until you employ one of these tricks and hear what you've been missing. Vibration does not cause degradation of the sound like you might think. What the vibration does is it causes errors in the clock circuit which eventually feeds the DAC. The result of these errors directly effects the sound stage image, transparency and music detail. You would NOT believe the difference in sound you get by using an external jitter reducer and DAC as opposed to using just the CD/DVD player itself, it's night and day. Pretty much you could use a $59 cd player hooked to a outboard jitter reducer and DAC and make it sound like a $5000 Krell. The only real differences between a cheap-o CD/DVD player and an expensive one is build quality and DAC technology. The high-end players have anti-vibration built into the chassis.
As far as video, if there is any improvement, I can't notice it, but then again the video does not use a clock circuit like the audio does.

------------------
Old 01-29-01, 08:09 AM

Putting a DVD player over a receiver with no shelving in between is bad news. If you do this, make sure you have a fan back there, sucking the heat out of the cabinet. You're also going to need no less than 4 inches of clearance between the two.

Jeff
Old 01-29-01, 09:05 AM

I've got my Toshiba 3109 sitting smack on top of my Yama 1105 receiver. The Yamaha has a fan in it but every time I looked it was never on (I even contacted their tech support on it and they said that was normal...it only spins up briefly at power up unless otherwise needed). The Toshiba has always run warm, even sitting on my kitchen table. Everything's in a closed wood cabinet but I leave the front door open when using it for the remotes to work. I've always been wary of heat build up, and felt things often when new, but in my case it's just not a problem.
Old 01-30-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
You might try going to a high end audio store and asking for "Tip Toes". To be honest I havn't seen them in a while, but they may still be available. They come in different sizes. They are VERY sharp pointed "cones" that are flat on top. Vibration is a big deal in high end audio particularly with Turntable (no laughing please). The idea was the sharp cones sent the virbration down to the cabinet, but not the other way. The medium sized one were about two inches tall (I used them under my turntable). This should give you the space you need for air. Be sure and protect your receiver, or the tip toes will scratch it. Try using penneys under them. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-01, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got my Toshiba 3109 sitting smack on top of my Yama 1105 receiver. The Yamaha has a fan in it but every time I looked it was never on (I even contacted their tech support on it and they said that was normal...it only spins up briefly at power up unless otherwise needed). The Toshiba has always run warm, even sitting on my kitchen table. Everything's in a closed wood cabinet but I leave the front door open when using it for the remotes to work. I've always been wary of heat build up, and felt things often when new, but in my case it's just not a problem.
<HR>

As you stated....you leave the front door open which prevents your dvd player from overheating!!! If you kept this closed and used your player for any length of time...you would most likely have problems.

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-31-01, 08:27 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you all for responding. My problem is this. I cannot move the DVD player over to a different part of the cabinet without a new optical cable and an additional receiver/eye for my remote extender. Going up to the next shelf in these built ins would require a ton of work as I would have to drill holes for cables, and with all my wine glasses, etc, in there, I would have to take them off, etc.........

I'm going to either see what I can do regarding extending my remote extender and then worry about the cable, or see what I can do about drilling some holes. This will be tough as I will have to get a sheet or something to cover the receiver so no saw dust, and will have to take glasses off the shelves. This may also entail on extending the remote extender, depending on the strength of the receiving end.....

we'll see.....
Old 02-02-01, 12:33 PM

This works for me. I have an old, inoperable Laser Disc Player that I use as a buffer between the receiver and the DVD player. It seems to dissipate any heat before it ever gets to the upper unit. At lease I've found a use for the old LDP!

------------------
"often in error; never in doubt."
Old 02-02-01, 01:38 PM

The comment about the "Turntable" is true, and a worst case scenario (if you don't know what a "turntable" is, ask one of your Techno friends or your dad.) Decent subs could vibrate the turntable something fierce, and there is a difference between direct drive and belt drive for motor rumble. /history lesson

As for drilling holes in your cabinet, unless you have a really nice solid wood one, the back comes off easily. It should be hinged anyway, to simplify your cabling woes. I opened mine up both on the top and the bottom, because all the units generate heat to some degree, but receivers, amps, and TiVo's generate a good amount of heat. And doesn't your sub fleet vibrate the heck out of your crystal? Try using the no-slip shelf pads - they work nice, espcially in the van to prevent stuff from sliding off of the center/dash console.

------------------
Hi, I'm Scott, and I'm an HT addict.

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited February 02, 2001).]