Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How to point rear speakers down?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How to point rear speakers down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-01, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, kind of a weird question, but I have some JBL S26 speakers (to match the other Studio series) and have determined that they sound the best in the rear (not on the sides as Dolby & THX suggest).

Anyway, they sit up about 2.5-3 feet on a bookcase that is directly behind the couch (so the speakers are almost directly above the couch) - only place that there is really somewhere to put them. Well, I need to angle them down towards the listener to get a better/fuller surround sound - seems like I get MUCH more effect when I stand up.

So, I am asking for creative suggestions on how I could accomplish this without it looking like crap (and obviously not having the speakers come tumbling down on top of the listener).

Some notes: I have already been shot down on the use of velcro and any sort of brackets that need to be screwed into the bookcase - it is a nice (and semi-expensive) bookcase - one of those types with the fold down mini-bar.

Thanks in advance for any help in this situation (if its even possible).....
Old 01-31-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not mount them to the wall instead of to the bookcase?

You could also build a base out of plywood and mount the speaker bracket on that. Then, set the whole thing on top of the shelf. You don't have to use plywood - you could try to match the shelf. You could also use small clamps to hold the base on the shelf without being permanent or visible.
Old 01-31-01, 10:22 AM

Well I respect the fact that you tried putting them on the sides, I do not think moving the rears lower or aiming them down is a good idea. Rear speakers are not supposed to be aimed at the listener. They are supposed to be placed 3 feet above the listening position to minimize localization effects. If you think the speakers sound better on the bookshelf behind you as opposed to the sides then fine, but I highly recommend against aiming them downward. This is not how the rear speakers were meant to be placed and it will cut down on the reflections of the sound throughout the room. You should aim the surrounds straight across the room not down at viewers because this helps to create a more open and spacious surround soundfield. For more information try this link http://www.dolby.com/ht/sound/sound3.html
Old 02-02-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought: Have you tried aiming the speakers sideways (towards the side walls of the room) rather than forward?
Old 02-02-01, 12:21 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by drmoze:
Just a thought: Have you tried aiming the speakers sideways (towards the side walls of the room) rather than forward?
<HR>

Yes he has tried that

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jellis:
I have some JBL S26 speakers (to match the other Studio series) and have determined that they sound the best in the rear (not on the sides as Dolby & THX suggest).
<HR>

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited February 02, 2001).]