Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about DVD storage in cases/binders...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-21-24, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't know what they're called, but I have these little black albums that hold 12 discs in them each. They're the same dimensions as a CD and they fit on CD-sized shelves. I want to take a lot of my DVD TV series out of the boxes and packaging and put them in these little album/binder things.(I can't even find a picture of them on Google, since I don't know what they're called--I bought them at a Japanese video store, 3 albums for $4.) I'm wondering if it's safe for the DVDs in these cases and if not, what's the best way to store DVDs in CD sized containers. I'm thinking of just putting them in those little paper sleeves and lining them up on CD shelves but that makes retrieval worse. I just want to save space.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-24, 04:34 PM

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,171 Posts
Re: Question about DVD storage in cases/binders...

I did that with the 24-disc holders around 10 years ago and my discs have been just fine.
Old 04-21-24, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 836 Likes on 704 Posts

Honestly, depends on the binders and their quality. More familiar with their implications for CD longevity. The paper sleeves are a safer long-term option but I recognize the hassles dealing with them in great quantity.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious but if your black albums use thin plastic sleeves to hold each DVD, be wary. That cheaper plastic has a tendency to degas and partially decompose, harming the disc. But many are made strong enough to last years and years without problem, so it's a gamble.
Old 04-21-24, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I would avoid that storage method. Especially since they were about a dollar each.

Like PhantomStranger said, it comes down to the quality of the binder. I've heard of some plastic sleeves like that damaging the discs, where the plastic do things like stick to the labels or playing surface, or leave residue on them.

The best way to store DVDs in CD-sized cases would probably to use slimline CD jewel cases.
Old 04-21-24, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,263 Posts

I have most of mine in paper sleeves the likes of which you can get in a box of 100 for 10 bucks, then just filed in drawers.
I don't access them all that often - how often does one need to slip a movie out of its sleeve over the course of one's lifetime? - and I'm just careful when I take them out or put them back in. Haven't had any issue so far, other than being able to scan the spines of normal DVD/BD cases when trying to choose something.
Old 04-22-24, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
I have most of mine in paper sleeves the likes of which you can get in a box of 100 for 10 bucks, then just filed in drawers.
I don't access them all that often - how often does one need to slip a movie out of its sleeve over the course of one's lifetime? - and I'm just careful when I take them out or put them back in. Haven't had any issue so far, other than being able to scan the spines of normal DVD/BD cases when trying to choose something.
What brick & mortar store would carry those sleeves in a box of 100 or even smaller quantities? Thanks.

Old 04-22-24, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What brick & mortar store would carry those sleeves in a box of 100 or even smaller quantities? Thanks.
I confess I pulled that number off the web, and cheapest example I found. It was merely for illustration purposes. But it looks like there is an office depot near me that has 100 for about 10 bucks available for in-store pickup.