Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for home multi-purpose audio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Hopefully this is close enough to on topic, and even more hopefully, it makes a little sense.
We are working on building a house and I am planning our audio setup for upstairs.
For the main floor we want multichannel, multipurpose audio. Haven't decided if these should be built in or freestanding.
The idea is to have an adaptable speaker system to be suitable for home theater use, and also for music broadcast to all speakers or selective groups of them, probably connected to the main receiver or phones via Bluetooth or Echo devices (open to suggestions).
For example, having various settings for home theater from the tv hopefully with actual multichannel; another for Inside (main room and kitchen/dining area speakers), another setting for All (main room, kitchen/dining, and outside on the deck) another for outside only, etc.
I'm not even sure where to start searching or what search terms to use.
Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on anything related to this idea?

The following users liked this post:
story (04-13-24)
Old 04-13-24, 06:45 PM

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Re: Recommendations for home multi-purpose audio

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on anything related to this idea?
Whatever you do, get somethin' good and CRANK IT UP.
Old 04-17-24, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Recommendations for home multi-purpose audio

A decent AV Receiver can do all that, the hard part will be configuring it to 1-button presets to switch. It will remember your setting per input. Like your PS5 and AppleTV inputs can always go to 7.1 speakers. But the tricky part would be if you then want to listen to AppleMusic, it will be the same input so it would get to 7.1 unless you change it. I'm also not sure what that would be called to configure that quicker (maybe something like sound profiles?) I would also make sure to look for receivers with multi-zone capability. Any good receiver would also come with a mobile App, so maybe you can download that in advance and see what controls that would offer.