Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Will I miss Dolby Vision if I have never seen it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Long post, so here goes.

Got the itch to upgrade my family room TV. Currently have a 75" Sony 900E. Great tv except for it being dark as fuck with HDR. Anyway, I have a huge room and huge wall. This thing could easily support 120" screen. If I could do a projector, I would, but light control is major issue. So here we are with regular TVs.

Given thought to waiting. Don't need it now. But strongly considering the Samsung QN90 85". It checks most of the boxes. Biggest thing missing is Dolby Vision.

Thing is, I have literally never seen anything in Dolby Vision. Is it something I would regret not getting?

Also considered the current gen Sony's, but I game on this TV and the issues with their VRR and ALLM stuff had scared me away from them.

I will have to upgrade my receiver too to something HDMI 2.1 so I can get full benefit of both systems since the Samsung only has one 2.1 HDMI port.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Deftones; 01-29-22 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-30-22, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Will I miss Dolby Vision if I have never seen it?

No. But that goes for anything you've never experienced. I don't miss fucking Scarlett Johansson.
Old 01-30-22, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If you really want to find out, just YouTube HDR vs DV comparisons and you’ll have more than enough to give you an idea. After seeing some, either you’ll want or you’ll decide it’s something you can easily live without. I personally love DV presentations, but a lot would rather have a Samsung than an TV with no DV. Very subjective.
Old 01-31-22, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

No.
Old 01-31-22, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I have a Sony tv with DV and I think I’ll stick with devices that have it from
now on. I couldn’t see myself buying a Samsung television if it was half off.
Old 02-01-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Long post, so here goes.

Got the itch to upgrade my family room TV. Currently have a 75" Sony 900E. Great tv except for it being dark as fuck with HDR.
Why is HDR so dark? Isn't there a way to correct that? If your TV supports HDR, why is it dark? I thought viewing HDR material on a *non* HDR display is automatically dark. I had heard, perhaps mistakenly that having an HDR-capable display magically makes "dark" HDR material bright, with excellent contrast. As, that's the purpose of specifically purchasing an HDR display? Is this incorrect thinking, based on your experience?
Old 02-02-22, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Why is HDR so dark? Isn't there a way to correct that? If your TV supports HDR, why is it dark? I thought viewing HDR material on a *non* HDR display is automatically dark. I had heard, perhaps mistakenly that having an HDR-capable display magically makes "dark" HDR material bright, with excellent contrast. As, that's the purpose of specifically purchasing an HDR display? Is this incorrect thinking, based on your experience?
No this is a very common thing with HDR. Especially older TVs that can do HDR but not Dolby Vision. I can toggle off HDR and it becomes instantly brighter.

https://www.wired.com/story/hdr-too-dark-how-to-fix-it/
Old 02-02-22, 09:04 AM
Banned by request

I love that my TCL (55” Series 6) can switch Dolby Vision off and it’ll display HDR every time. So I sample the same movie in either HDR or DV. But yes, HDR is overall much brighter than DV.
Old 02-03-22, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dolby Vision seems vastly overrated. It seems much better just to stick with HDR. It's like there are two competing formats (WHY??!!) and Dolby Vision is like Beta was or HD-DVD was. It's causing confusion and dividedness when we only really NEED one standard for "increasing" brightness in films. The terrible reality is it's just another economic money-grab, to rock the boat.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 07:09 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Dolby Vision seems vastly overrated. It seems much better just to stick with HDR. It's like there are two competing formats (WHY??!!) and Dolby Vision is like Beta was or HD-DVD was. It's causing confusion and dividedness when we only really NEED one standard for "increasing" brightness in films. The terrible reality is it's just another economic money-grab, to rock the boat.
A lot of words to say "I don't know anything about this topic." You could've just said that instead of all the constant hyperbole.
Deftones (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
A lot of words to say "I don't know anything about this topic." You could've just said that instead of all the constant hyperbole.
Instead of your denigrating rhetoric, perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten and / or educate me, then. It would be much more appreciated than your snarky, unenlightened response.

Do you work for Dolby by any chance?

Why are there two "competing" standards when it seems one would be more logical? I'd like to learn why, for future reference.
Alan Smithee (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Instead of your denigrating rhetoric, perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten and / or educate me, then. It would be much more appreciated than your snarky, unenlightened response.

Do you work for Dolby by any chance?

Why are there two "competing" standards when it seems one would be more logical? I'd like to learn why, for future reference.
HDR10 is open source, free to use, and created by open consortium of companies

Dolby Vision was created by Dolby, and has to be licensed.

Watch this video and it will explain it. The stock video they use is cheesy by the explanations of what they do is pretty good:
​​​​​​
Old 02-03-22, 09:40 AM
Banned by request

Yep, don’t trash it if you know noting about it. YouTube it or something. Better yet, get a TV that has it, then provide colorful commentary on why it seems “overrated”.
Old 02-03-22, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Currently have a 75" Sony 900E. Great tv except for it being dark as fuck with HDR.
Just in case because I know you already did but you did max out the “local dimming” feature, right?
Old 02-03-22, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Just in case because I know you already did but you did max out the “local dimming” feature, right?
Yes sir. I have tweaked all the settings in numerous configurations.
Old 02-03-22, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HDR10 is open source, free to use, and created by open consortium of companies

Dolby Vision was created by Dolby, and has to be licensed.

Watch this video and it will explain it. The stock video they use is cheesy by the explanations of what they do is pretty good: https://youtu.be/H7zgDYU2Xjc
​​​​​​
Thanks for the video. I did know that anything with "Dolby" has to licensed (at additional expense / residual cost to everything that uses it).
Old 02-04-22, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Thanks for the video. I did know that anything with "Dolby" has to licensed (at additional expense / residual cost to everything that uses it).
They're not a charity.