Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question for those with an ATMOS setup. Is it worth the upgrade ? ?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-16-20, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104 receiver supports Atmos but I only have around 5 UHD discs with an Atmos soundtrack. My receiver only allows the addition of 2 Atmos speakers but there are 7 choices & I have no idea which would be best: either front, middle or rear ceiling speakers, rear or front highs (on the diagram on the receiver's setup menu these are located above the fronts / rears, on the wall up to the ceiling), or up-firing fronts or rears. Currently using Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's which are around 10 years old but I'm still happy with them which is why I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade because I'm leaning toward replacing the fronts with up-firing speakers. Is the difference between 5.1 & ATMOS worth the trouble? Thanks guys.

Last edited by JZ1276; 05-16-20 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Question for those with an ATMOS setup. Is it worth the upgrade ? ?

If your receiver supports it, you should be using it. Placing the extra speakers is a challenge though unless you can have them actually installed in the ceiling. I've found up-firing speakers don't work the way they say they do, and have just placed them as high as I can get them instead. Haven't heard a good theater Atmos setup so don't know how it should really sound.
Old 05-16-20, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
My Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104 receiver supports Atmos but I only have around 5 UHD discs with an Atmos soundtrack. My receiver only allows the addition of 2 Atmos speakers but there are 7 choices & I have no idea which would be best: either front, middle or rear ceiling speakers, rear or front highs (on the diagram on the receiver's setup menu these are located above the fronts / rears, on the wall up to the ceiling), or up-firing fronts or rears. Currently using Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's which are around 10 years old but I'm still happy with them which is why I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade because I'm leaning toward replacing the fronts with up-firing speakers. Is the difference between 5.1 & ATMOS worth the trouble? Thanks guys.
First, if you're happy with the sound of your speakers, stick with those. Speakers are the hardest to find and sound different to everyone. So if you like their sound, build on those.

If you can mount ceiling speakers, that would be best. Upward firing speakers are not the greatest, unless you have perfectly flat ceilings, and even then, it's questionable on how well the sound bounces for you to get the full effect. Since you have a 7.2 receiver, I would initially try for a 5 surround speakers, and 2 ceiling ones, placed like either of these 2 options. And like Alan said, if you have Atmos capability, take advantage of it.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html

Old 05-16-20, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

When we were building our current house a few years back, we wired for 7.2.6 (although weíre only using 5.1.4 at the moment). Iíd never experienced Atmos in any form until having it in my own home, and once I did...itís hard to describe just how transformative it is. Iíve always been a video-first guy, but now if I had to choose between 4K/HDR and a full Atmos rig, Iíd probably go for the immersive audio.

Heights aside, Iím still using the same speakers/sub Iíve had for ~15 years. If youíre happy with what youíre using now and have the ability to get heights installed, go that direction. And speaker wireís relatively cheap, so if youíre having someone rip out drywall, consider overbuilding. Put in drops for 6 height channels, even if youíre only going to use 2 for the foreseeable future. Itís a whole lot easier than deciding you want more later and having to go through this whole mess again.
Old 05-19-20, 12:12 PM

Of course ceiling speakers can be installed,but thats a huge job. I've had my eye on a pair of Pioneer Elite upfiring speakers, but I know if I purchase those I'd end up replacing all my speakers with Pioneers. I do have an extra pair of Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 speakers that I was thinking of mounting on the wall above the fronts up tp the ceiling. I didnt even know this location could be used as Atmos untilI looked at the Diagram in my receivers setup menu.
Old 05-19-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Atmos speaker setup can vary and still get good results. Just read up on the Dolby Atmos site for ideas.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...tup/index.html

Just my opinion, but upward firing speakers aren't worth it, especially if you're able to mount some.
Old 05-21-20, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll echo Adam's sentiments. Once you get overheads installed and listen to a movie with helicopters flying overhead, you won't want to go back.
Old 05-21-20, 08:46 PM

You guys convinced me to tear up my ceiling and go with these Yamaha Ceilings instead of the easy solution with these Pioneer Atmos Upfiring Floorstanding speakers.
Old 05-23-20, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don’t need to tear up your ceiling to install Atmos speakers. You can buy some good quality satellites and use speaker mounts to put them on the ceiling. That’s how I did mine and it allows me to tilt them in any direction. No tearing up of the ceiling necessary.
Old 05-24-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Any pictures of that available? I probably still couldn't do that in my apartment, but would still be nice to know for future reference.

I'll say again that I have Pioneer upfiring speakers and they don't work when simply placed on top of the front left and right speakers- the sound doesn't "bounce" off the ceiling or anything that way. They need to be placed up high.
Old 05-24-20, 01:01 PM
Suspended

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
You donít need to tear up your ceiling to install Atmos speakers. You can buy some good quality satellites and use speaker mounts to put them on the ceiling. Thatís how I did mine and it allows me to tilt them in any direction. No tearing up of the ceiling necessary.

That breakfast room never sounded so good!
Old 05-24-20, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I have this set-up going:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

I may go 5.2.2 at some point, though.
Old 05-24-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Any pictures of that available? I probably still couldn't do that in my apartment, but would still be nice to know for future reference.

I'll say again that I have Pioneer upfiring speakers and they don't work when simply placed on top of the front left and right speakers- the sound doesn't "bounce" off the ceiling or anything that way. They need to be placed up high.
Here’s part of what my ceiling speakers looked like. I’m about to remodel and reposition all of them soon. But this gives you an idea. Last picture shows a speaker with some cable management, so it looks a little better instead of a hanging wire.