Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does Zenith make good TVs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does Zenith make good TVs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around where I live (Philly burbs), there's 2 really old TV stores, like tiny corner stores that specialize in repairs (which I guess is getting harder with all the more computerized stuff out nowadays) and they have some of the smaller new sets and can order just about anything Zenith or Panasonic make. So anyway, since i'll be getting a new TV soon, I though instead of going to the big stores (like best buy etc) I'd give them a try if their prices are decent. I know they'll stand behind their products and give great service if the set ever broke or anything.

I'm planning to spend around $1000 .. maybe $1500 if I gotta stretch it for something really worth the extra money, and I'd like to get widescreen if possible. So, how does Zenith compare to say a Sony Wega? Like in picture quality, featres, whatever? Just curious, I know my grandmother has a 20 year old Zenith that she bought there that still has a great picture and all
Old 01-03-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a reason you're not looking at the Panasonics?

I have no direct experience with Zeniths (at least not those built after 1975), but I've read that their higher-end stuff is pretty cool. Then again, this was a few years ago. This is in direct contrast to their general reputation as being unreliable.

In the price range you're looking at, I'd recommend checking out Panasonic (at least compared to Zenith).

-S
Old 01-03-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Check out the new panasonic pure flat
They have a CT-27SX10 for about $500.00
Old 01-03-01, 07:56 PM

Parents have 25" zenith downstairs...bought about 10 years ago, must have a high horizontal resolution though because DVD movies look nice on it. Anyways SONY PLAYSTATION was incompatible (!!) with this TV and still is..probably fixed in new Zenith TVs though. (Screen would jump up and down).

ANYWAYS where do you find this PANASONIC SUPERFLAT 27" for only $500? Everywhere I see, it's $650. (I need a new TV for my room, the 19" mono should be gone by now).

~ELmO
Old 01-03-01, 09:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

I have a 21" Zenith TV and a Hi-Fi Zenith VCR (both are HS grad gifts). I haven't had any problems with them (except when my brother's wive ripped the coax plug off the TV because she forgot to unscrew the cable).

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-03-01, 10:15 PM

lol
Old 01-04-01, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My parents have a 25" Zenith they bought about a year ago and it died completely after just over a month. It was repaired but has started acting flaky lately. I'd look at Panasonic over Zenith in general.
Old 01-04-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by guybrush:

ANYWAYS where do you find this PANASONIC SUPERFLAT 27" for only $500? Everywhere I see, it's $650. (I need a new TV for my room, the 19" mono should be gone by now).

~ELmO
<HR>

There are differences between the Superflat and the Pureflat. The Pureflat is Panasonic's new line of TV's.
Anyway... I saw it at radarcity.com. Never shopped there before so I can not tell you how the service is. Actually I am getting my TV for $475. That includes tax...but only because my brother-in-law sells A/V equipment.
Old 01-04-01, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Hmm guess Zenith might not be worth going with.. just curious how these teeny shops stayed in business so long (like 50+ years for one of em) without Best Buy and Circuit City (both about 10 minutes away) shutting em down.

I think I'm most likely gonna go with a Wega.. a friend got a 27" and it looks really great, so I might get the same only bigger
Old 01-04-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by necros:
just curious how these teeny shops stayed in business so long (like 50+ years for one of em) without Best Buy and Circuit City (both about 10 minutes away) shutting em down.
<HR>

Are they a repair shop? That's one way. The other way is...um...ahh...oh, yeah, that's the only way. Mom and Pop shops are dropping like flies.
Old 01-04-01, 10:31 AM
Suspended

Yeah they do repairs and I think they also sell air conditioners in the summer