Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What RF Modulator do I need?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What RF Modulator do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-01, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My kids have an older TV with a VCR in there play room and that is were they like to watch movies with their friends. What RF modulator do I need to transfer their DVDs to VHS so they can watch them in there Home theater? I can not afford a second DVD player at this time.
Old 01-03-01, 10:15 PM

I haven't tried to do exactly what you are doing, but I bought a Recoton V647 RF Modulator from Crutchfield's website (part 137V647) to hook up a DVD player to an old TV. It works great. The total was about $40 including shipping, but you can probably find one of these in your local Radio Shack also.
Old 01-04-01, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I understand an RF Modulator won't disable macrovision and let you record DVDs to VHS tapes. If you pass the video through the RF Modulator before going into the VCR, the VCR will trigger macrovision and mess up the picture.

I know there are some macrovision busters available around the net but from what I hear they are pretty pricey. If you buy one of these things you might as well buy a new player.

Maybe someone else has a solution or can correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't even tried recording to VHS and don't have any desire to.

Good luck
Old 01-04-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVDs4ME:
My kids have an older TV with a VCR ...their Home theater...
<HR>

j/k

quote:<HR>What RF modulator do I need to transfer their DVDs to VHS so they can watch them in there Home theater? I can not afford a second DVD player at this time <HR>

The Void is right, an RF modulator is just a device to allow you to connect a DVD player without going through a VCR, it does not disable Macrovision. For your situation, an RF modulator woud do you no good. You either (1) need a second DVD player or (2) you need to set up a system by which you can disable Macrovision and copy DVDs to a VHS tape for viewing on the kid's VCR.

Seeing as how the second option is illegal and expensive, whereas new DVD players are as cheap as $100, I would go with the first option or teach the kids to live without.
Old 01-04-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If the VCR is an old model you can record the DVD movies to the VCR with no problem.
Just hook up the DVD to the VCR inputs and if you get a picture then your all set. Start recording!!