DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

component cables?

Old 12-07-00, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this one's probably been asked before but can i use just good quality rca video cables or is there a another less expensive way of getting by.
thanks!
Old 12-07-00, 07:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
You're right. Try a search.
Old 12-07-00, 07:17 PM
SGP

If u have S-video in and out on both ends, then use a S-video cable. It is much better than RCA connection and not very much different from component video cables if u are using a small TV like 27 inch and below.

Hope this helps. I use a good S-video cable to connect my dvd to my 27" Sony WEGA TV. It's great.
Old 12-07-00, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by raggmopp:
this one's probably been asked before but can i use just good quality rca video cables or is there a another less expensive way of getting by.
thanks!
<HR>

yes, you can. in fact, you can even use cheap qulity rca cables. they do NOT make a difference as far as i can tell, and i've tried. i ended up returning my expensive component cables and using plain ole CHEAP rca's. it looks fine. same goes for the coaxial digital cable. just find one that is 75 ohms...

Old 12-08-00, 11:47 AM

so then anything over 27" component hookup is better?
as i just picked up a 61" hitachi
thanks....
Old 12-08-00, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i can see the difference between s-video and component on my 61" sony, but barely.

if you go component, just be sure to pick up something shielded with low resistance, but don't go overboard and spend a ton of money on them.

i picked up a nice set at target (of all places) for $20. gold plated connections and they are THICK like monster cables (but 1/4 the price). i also understand that the radio-shack ones are acceptable for about $7/cable, but you have to deal with 3 seperate cables.
Old 12-10-00, 06:07 PM

The Acoustic Research Component Cables are pretty good cables for only $30 at www.accessories4less.com . Or you can just get three seperate video cables. Either will work.
Old 12-10-00, 06:15 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by raggmopp:
thanks!
<HR>

Unless you have a very nice tv and a very nice DVD player, you aren't gonna get much of a difference out of cables designed specifically for component video and regular rca cables.

Old 12-10-00, 08:21 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by THX THE BEST!!!:
The Acoustic Research Component Cables are pretty good cables for only $30 at www.accessories4less.com . Or you can just get three seperate video cables. Either will work. <HR>

you have mentioned these cables a lot. i have a few questions about acoustic
research cables... are they as good as monster cables? i am only running a
toshiba 2150 on a panasonic 27 inch tv, so there wouldn't be that much of a
difference between different brands, correct? (although i am almost sure i
will be getting some component cables... vcr in reg. composite and dreamcast
in s-video. so if there is not much of a difference in different brands of
component cables, i mind as well get the cheapest)

also, would getting some AR audio cables make a big difference? again, i
don't think i will be using a receiver in the near future, so it would be
plugged straight into my tv. would these audio cables greatly enhance the
sound over the regular cables? thanks for your input. one last question...
do you know any B&M stores that sell these cables? thanks a lot.

Old 12-11-00, 11:25 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by gev115:
you have mentioned these cables a lot. i have a few questions about acoustic
research cables... are they as good as monster cables?
<HR>

Who cares if they are as good as monster. Monster is a rip-off to begin with. You mine as well just put together a Bose speaker system.

i am almost sure i will be getting some component cables.<HR>

Don't!!! Just buy a set of RCA cables. You will not notice any difference in picture quality on a 27inch set by using Component cables. RCA cables and Component cables are for all intensive purposes the same thing.

i mind as well get the cheapest<HR>

If you want the some of the cheapest RCA cables then go to your local Radio Shack. The RCA cab;es they sell there are cheap and more then adequate for a 27inch tv.

would getting some AR audio cables make a big difference? again, i don't think i will be using a receiver in the near future, so it would be plugged straight into my tv. would these audio cables greatly enhance the
sound over the regular cables?
<HR>

Those audio cables are nothing more then RCA cables. Use the same RCA cables for the left and right audio as you did for your component hook-up. You will not notice any difference in sound quality from your tv by using better RCA cables.
Old 12-11-00, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
Who cares if they are as good as monster. Monster is a rip-off to begin with. You mine as well just put together a Bose speaker system.<HR>

Could you elaborate on why you think Monster brand cables are a rip-off? And that being said, do you think Kimber Cables, Vampire Wire, Audioquest, Tara Labs and Acoustic Research cables are rip-offs too?

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Miami Dolphins: AFC Champs 2000.
Old 12-11-00, 07:15 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally think all high end cables are a rip off, but that's just my opinion. It all depends on how much money you have to spend and how much of a tech nerd you are. I'm not an audio or video phile and my whole home theater cost about $1500 for TV, Receiver, Speakers and DVD player so their is no reason to use real expensive cables. I bought upper end monster component cables to see what all the fuss was about, but returned them when I got the same results with Radio Shacks gold cables that only cost $10 bucks.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 12-11-00, 10:11 PM

quote:<HR>Don't!!! Just buy a set of RCA cables. You will not notice any difference in picture quality on a 27inch set by using Component cables. RCA cables and Component cables are for all intensive purposes the same thing. <HR>

As i said in my post, i will post likely be getting some component cables for this reason: My tv has 3 sets of inputs... 1 component, 1 composite, and 1 composite/s-video... my vcr is in my composite and my dreamcast is in my s-video... so that leaves my component... i could try to hook up the vcr through the dvd through the one composite, but i think it would be easier to just get composite. so i guess my question is this... for my weak setup, would getting expensive component cables over cheap component cables make any difference? and through your answers, i am thinking not. is this correct? if so, where can i get decent cheap cables? radio shack? target (i think someone mentioned)?

thanks for the replies.

[This message has been edited by gev115 (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-11-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by joshhinkle:
I personally think all high end cables are a rip off, but that's just my opinion. It all depends on how much money you have to spend and how much of a tech nerd you are. I'm not an audio or video phile and my whole home theater cost about $1500 for TV, Receiver, Speakers and DVD player so their is no reason to use real expensive cables. I bought upper end monster component cables to see what all the fuss was about, but returned them when I got the same results with Radio Shacks gold cables that only cost $10 bucks.

<HR>

At least you are consistent with your opinion, and aren't just singling out Monster (or any other cable manufacturer) as being a rip-off. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I just hate seeing one particular company (Monster, in this case) getting singled out amidst all the rest, despite the fact that there are dozens more brands that are twice as expensive.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 12-11-00, 11:32 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the reason we see monster cables bashed so often is that people more often than not buy their lower end cables that deserve to be bashed. I tried a set of these that cost around $30 bucks, which is obviously $20 more than the Radio Shack gold series I mentioned before, and I did notice a difference. The picture was sharper with the RS cables! Anyway monsters upper level stuff is fine for people that want to spend a lot of money on cables, and probably as good or better than the other brands that are rarely ever bashed. Also, some of the bashing is probably a result that most people haven't even heard of the other brands as they are much more obscure.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 12-11-00, 11:55 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
Could you elaborate on why you think Monster brand cables are a rip-off? And that being said, do you think Kimber Cables, Vampire Wire, Audioquest, Tara Labs and Acoustic Research cables are rip-offs too?
<HR>

The reason that Monster cables are a rip-off is simple. Their lower end cables and wires are no better then Rat Shack and other lower end cable and wire companies, but cost upwards of four times as much. In this case you are simply paying for the name and that is why I singled Monster out. I do the same thing with Bose when talking about speakers. The higher end Monster cables are very nice and so are the other brands that you mentioned, but In my opinion they are not worth the money unless you are running a very high end system.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-12-00, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason that Monster cables are a rip-off is simple. Their lower end cables and wires are no better then Rat Shack and other lower end cable and wire companies, but cost upwards of four times as much. In this case you are simply paying for the name and that is why I singled Monster out. I do the same thing with Bose when talking about speakers. The higher end Monster cables are very nice and so are the other brands that you mentioned, but In my opinion they are not worth the money unless you are running a very high end system.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited December 11, 2000).]
<HR>

Ok, so you perceive their lower end cables to be inferior to Radio Shack's ( is this through testing on your own, or just a biased opinion?), yet cost '4 times as much'. I can only assume you are referring to Monster's entry-level cables, which perplexes me as the local Best Buy I happen to frequent has these A/V cables (video,l/r audio cables) for less then $19.99 for a 1 meter kit.
This is 4 times as much as Radio Shack's? I'd be interested in seeing some prices you've found to substantiate this claim, as I just don't see it.
Again, I understand this is your opinion, which is great. We all have them. But to come out and say 'they are no better then blah blah...' with no kind of testing done on your own is absurd.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 12-12-00, 10:24 AM

I believe the point that several people here are trying to make, and the position I hold myself is; the price you pay for a given gain in performance from cables is essentially exponential. That is to say, that while you may stand to gain a decent amount of performance by spending that first $20 over the price of the generic cable, the next $20 will bring you significantly less of a boost in performance than the last $20.

It is for this reason that I find that money spent on the higher-end cables (Kimber, Canare, etc.) could probably be better spent elsewhere.
Old 12-12-00, 10:24 AM

This is my last post about this DVD_O_RAMA because you are just getting way too defensive. I never said Monster's entry level cables are inferior to Radio Shack's. What I said is that Monster's entry levels cables are no better then Radio Shack cables. I have tried both types of cables along with Acoustic Research cables in my HT system and have never noticed any differences in sound or video quality. Maybe expensive high end cables would yield some difference in quality, but their high price is not worth the money unless you are operating a high end system. The money spent on these high end cables could easily be used to improve many more important aspects of a Home Theater. I don't work for consumer reports so I am afraid I can't offer you a double blind test, but maybe if you write some letters they will considering testing this for you. The price you quoted for a 1 meter kit of RCA cables is high when compared to Rat Shack. RS has the same cables for the same price but are 20 feet in length.
Old 12-12-00, 07:54 PM

Here's my two cents....

RaggMopp, to actually answer your question, if you have regular component video inputs (Not a HD set) then regular RCA cables are fine. However, if I had a $10K HDTV then I don't think I'd feel right about putting $1.99 Radio Shack cables on it.

That said, I don't know if there is a sonic/visible difference between the higher priced (Monster) cables and the cheaper ones. But I have had some of the cheaper ones come apart at the connectors. They also are not usually sheilded which may be important depending on your setup.

Generally, since I don't know your setup, here is my version of hook-up quality (lowest to highest)

Video:
RF cable - lowest
RCA Video, Yellow
S-Video
Component
HD component - Hightest
(Still not sure if there's a difference between the last two.)

Audio:
RCA (L/R)
Toslink (optical)
Coax

My theory on the optical hookup is that it doesn't make any sonic difference between a cheap or pricey cable. Either the digital light pulses get through or they don't.
Old 12-13-00, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is my last post about this DVD_O_RAMA because you are just getting way too defensive. I never said Monster's entry level cables are inferior to Radio Shack's. What I said is that Monster's entry levels cables are no better then Radio Shack cables. I have tried both types of cables along with Acoustic Research cables in my HT system and have never noticed any differences in sound or video quality. Maybe expensive high end cables would yield some difference in quality, but their high price is not worth the money unless you are operating a high end system. The money spent on these high end cables could easily be used to improve many more important aspects of a Home Theater. I don't work for consumer reports so I am afraid I can't offer you a double blind test, but maybe if you write some letters they will considering testing this for you. The price you quoted for a 1 meter kit of RCA cables is high when compared to Rat Shack. RS has the same cables for the same price but are 20 feet in length.
<HR>

I responded to this post once already, and my post mysteriously disappeared. Imagine that. If I feel like typing that much again, I'll post later and see if it sticks this time, as I still have some points to make on the subject.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com

Old 12-31-00, 10:53 AM

Well, here's my $.02. I'm "only running a Toshiba to a Panasonic" as well, and I've got the DVD hooked to the component inputs using Radio Shack Gold Series AV wire (yellow, white, red). There's a problem, though. There's the slightest red and green hue bands that stretch from top to bottom. After I'd bought the TV and noticed these (only in component mode, mind you) and because of another issue, I returned the TV for another. Well, the other issue was resolved, but not these hue bands. All I can think is that it has to be the cables....am I wrong?
Old 12-31-00, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by revco2k:
Well, here's my $.02. I'm "only running a Toshiba to a Panasonic" as well, and I've got the DVD hooked to the component inputs using Radio Shack Gold Series AV wire (yellow, white, red). There's a problem, though. There's the slightest red and green hue bands that stretch from top to bottom. After I'd bought the TV and noticed these (only in component mode, mind you) and because of another issue, I returned the TV for another. Well, the other issue was resolved, but not these hue bands. All I can think is that it has to be the cables....am I wrong?
<HR>

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I have a solution to your problem. The fact that you are using regular A/V Cables(yellow,red,white) as component video cables is your problem. RCA Video(yellow) and audio(red,white) are not the same kind of cable. The video cable is a 75 ohm cable with a solid inner wire and audio cables aren't. I think your problem will be fixed if you get 3 equal length 75 ohm yellow RCA video cables your problem will be solved.

------------------
The Void's DVD List
Old 01-01-01, 10:20 AM

that's what I was thinking and hoping...I had just heard so many people say otherwise (that they're all the same), that I'd begun to wonder....thanks....and oh, for those who've asked, in this thread and others like it, the catalog #'s for the 75 ohm RS video cables are 15-1518 (3ft), 15-1519 (6ft), and 15-1520 (12ft)
Old 01-01-01, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

If in doubt just go with a "blind test"
using Monster,AR, and some good 75ohm RG-6
video cable.( not RG-59).Whatever suits you
best;keep and take the others back.If you
have a "Loews" around you can get the AR's
there.
I'm using (3) RG-6 video cables with
some good RCA conectors. Unless you have
that ultra high end system with $$$ to burn
save it for better use.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.