Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Region-Free Blu Ray Player... Isn't Region Free Anymore???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting this here as well as the international forum (this one seems more active):

I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 region free Blu Ray player via Amazon in late 2015. It worked flawlessly until now. I have not used it in about a year as I have been heavily watching Netflix/Amazon Prime/ Acorn TV etc. I fired it up this evening and am now getting region errors and "invalid disc" for items (European Discs) that previously worked. I also have North American discs that won't play either. All discs are completely pristine, clean, and unmarked. It physically works as some discs will play.

I have not upgraded the firmware on this device since purchase, nor connected it to the internet. Does the "region free" feature expire? I'm a pretty savvy guy with home theatre, and am stumped. Right now I have about 1000 foreign Blu Rays and Dvds that are coasters as they won't play. It's rage-inducing after the money I have spent.

Anyone run into anything similar, or have a suggestion?

Last edited by dtaylor149; 01-28-19 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: My Region-Free Blu Ray Player... Isn't Region Free Anymore???

A firmware upgrade would be the #1 suspect.

Since it’s rejecting region A discs, it might be a shot player. The Sony blu-ray player I bought in 2009 started rejecting certain blu-ray discs after three years and eventually stopped recognizing them altogether. Still played DVDs, though. I’ve heard similar stories about Sony players refusing to play blu-ray discs.
Old 01-29-19, 02:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I didn't think Blu-ray players could be "region free" in the sense of being able to throw in any disc you like, but rather than you have to "switch" the player to the appropriate region every time you play a disc that isn't in the region that the player was previously set to.
But I don't know anything about this specific player.

Could be it's set to region C, and needs to be reset to A or B?

edit: Oh I see the OP mentioned DVDs aren't playing either. Could be the lasers are dying but not quite dead.
Old 01-29-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A firmware upgrade would be the #1 suspect.

Since it’s rejecting region A discs, it might be a shot player. The Sony blu-ray player I bought in 2009 started rejecting certain blu-ray discs after three years and eventually stopped recognizing them altogether. Still played DVDs, though. I’ve heard similar stories about Sony players refusing to play blu-ray discs.
That eventually happened to my launch PS3. DVDs were fine; wouldn't read a blu-ray disc.
Old 01-29-19, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to cover off everyone's comments...

1. I have not upgraded the firmware on this player.
2. This player was sold as 'region free", and did indeed play every blu ray and dvd in my collection, regardless of region, until now. No switching of modes was required, it recognized all discs on startup.
3. Hadn't thought about it crapping out as it has not been heavily used.

Anyone able to give me recommendation on a new region free player? Sounds like the best bet is to simply bite the bullet and replace this one. The clowns who came up with region coding etc need to burn in hell...

Thank you for your replies.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-20-20)
Old 01-30-19, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

"It's a Sony"
Old 01-30-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've never had a region-free player that didn't require some kind of manual intervention to switch regions depending on what disc I used. If this player had a hardware mod, perhaps that is what has failed. My Oppo BDP-83 has a hardware mod I installed which essentially replaced a ribbon cable with a cable containing a device that overrides region. If that device failed I'd expect it would have a similar issue as OP. I'd contact the people who sold it and ask about the nature of the region free mod.

Also, you state you haven't updated the firmware, but have you checked to see if it has changed? I'd check the firmware version and then find out when that firmware version was released for that model. If the firmware has a release date newer than when you got the player, mystery solved.
Old 01-31-19, 09:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor149
Posting this here as well as the international forum (this one seems more active):

I purchased a Sony BDP-S5100 region free Blu Ray player via Amazon in late 2015. It worked flawlessly until now. I have not used it in about a year as I have been heavily watching Netflix/Amazon Prime/ Acorn TV etc. I fired it up this evening and am now getting region errors and "invalid disc" for items (European Discs) that previously worked. I also have North American discs that won't play either. All discs are completely pristine, clean, and unmarked. It physically works as some discs will play.

I have not upgraded the firmware on this device since purchase, nor connected it to the internet. Does the "region free" feature expire? I'm a pretty savvy guy with home theatre, and am stumped. Right now I have about 1000 foreign Blu Rays and Dvds that are coasters as they won't play. It's rage-inducing after the money I have spent.

Anyone run into anything similar, or have a suggestion?
I'd like to suggest based on your original post that the problem has nothing to do with the all region capability of the player, but rather this sounds like a player that might be dirty inside, or otherwise just shot for another reason. If your player had lost it's ability to play foreign discs then you'd be getting a message that says something like "This player cannot play this disc due to region restrictions" or words to that effect. The fact that it won't play some American discs tells me that it's another problem. Sony players are infamous for this type of problem, some on this forum have posted their Sony woes before, including myself. Some info and possibly a fix (temporary?) can be found here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-t...oad-discs.html
Old 01-31-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I can only recommend the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UC4K2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UC4K2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It might just be conking out on you because as long as it's not connected to the internet - it should not switch regions. I've also never run into Region B discs that will automatically install firmware on a player that doesn't have it. I've already had this player for 2 years and it is awesome. I paid like $50 less, though, but I did get it off of Amazon.
Old 01-31-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Manufacturers change Blu-rays' "access capabilities" (for lack of a technical term) to thwart all-region players and ripping, but that doesn't seem to be the issue in the OP's case. Player probably needs a repair or replacement.
Old 02-06-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Instead of creating a new thread, I'll ask my question here. Any good recommendation for a region free Blu-ray player for this Canadian? That Sony that Why so Blu? suggested is $250 Canadian at Amazon.ca
Old 02-06-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

^I've been looking, too.

My problem is that my man cave HT system where I'll be using the player is not HDMI compatible. It's very difficult to find a region free player that still has optical out for a reasonable price.
Old 02-12-19, 05:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Instead of creating a new thread, I'll ask my question here. Any good recommendation for a region free Blu-ray player for this Canadian? That Sony that Why so Blu? suggested is $250 Canadian at Amazon.ca
really would like to know if this player gets the Plex app...
Old 12-31-19, 06:21 PM

I got this and used to have to push a remote button to change regions while loading disc, but I believe it has become self aware. Changes back and forth on own now. Pretty good player overall...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075VC8HL7/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b__o2_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075VC8HL7/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b__o2_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-01-20, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, my region-free player "adapted" to the regions and I do not need to assign a region/color code anymore. Just make sure you never connect it to the Internet, because if you do, they'll push a firmware update and will make your player region A again. Mine is not connected to the Internet.
Old 01-01-20, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, my region-free player "adapted" to the regions and I do not need to assign a region/color code anymore. Just make sure you never connect it to the Internet, because if you do, they'll push a firmware update and will make your player region A again. Mine is not connected to the Internet.
it's connected to internet, but never had a msg for a firmware update come up...
Old 01-01-20, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
it's connected to internet, but never had a msg for a firmware update come up...
Be careful. I would never ever connect my region-free player to the Internet.
Old 01-01-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I got this and used to have to push a remote button to change regions while loading disc, but I believe it has become self aware. Changes back and forth on own now. Pretty good player overall...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075V...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You have just given birth to Skynet. All hail our new cybernetic overlords.
Old 01-01-20, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Be careful. I would never ever connect my region-free player to the Internet.
well, let me clarify. it's hooked to internet to get apps like NF, Amazon, Vudu, etc., but the option for the Bluray to connect when disc is there is off and i think that is key...
Old 01-05-21, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I am continually having the same issue and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have 2 Sony players that were purchased "Region Free" and worked great for a while. No firmware updates were made, although I was told they would be fine to do. Regardless, both have had the latest updates for a while now. I have had to send them both back once to get "fixed" and thankfully was only charged for shipping. But, it keeps happening. They have been connected to the internet, but no updates have been done. Only to watch streaming services. I thought maybe it was a USB hard drive with music connected but both have "reset" themselves without anything plugged in. When this happens, the players at startup will do a complete reset. All the apps and settings reset just like buying a new player. I can get everything back except the region free, which is why I bought the things in the first place. What can I do? What shouldn't I do? Is there a brand that is less susceptible to this? Thanks - David
Old 01-07-21, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

You should probably only play DVDs, blu-rays, and CDs on your region-free player. Keep it offline, don't run apps on it, and don't plug any USB devices into it.

These things are basically computers that can crash, reset, reboot, and phone the mothership. The more things you use it for, the more opportunities it has to do the above four things.
Why So Blu? (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never connect it to the Internet and don't use it for anything other than imported discs.
Old 01-07-21, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Is the LG BP350 still one of the best bets for reliable region-free playback? I'm contemplating replacing a couple of old DVD players with a versatile machine that will play everything and the kitchen sink.
Old 01-07-21, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Is the LG BP350 still one of the best bets for reliable region-free playback? I'm contemplating replacing a couple of old DVD players with a versatile machine that will play everything and the kitchen sink.
I have this one and it's awesome.

Amazon Amazon
Norm de Plume (01-08-21)