Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony C660 and Surround Sound???

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony C660 and Surround Sound???

Old 12-26-00, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My lovely wife gave me the Sony DVP-C660 for Christmas... My question is... do I need a different unit for surround sound? I have a home system with an older Sony Dolby Reciever and surround speakers (newer)... but I do not know if I need a DVD with DTS decoding or... some other type of dolby decoding (since I do not believe my reciever is "Dolby Digital"...
Please Help ([email protected])
Old 12-26-00, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 144 Posts
Well if you were lucky enough to purchase a higher end receiver with the that was digital ready with Digital 5.1 inputs than yes you do need a decoder. It will have a section of 6 inputs labeled 5.1 or something that you would need to run 6 rca cables from your DVD player. Most likely that is NOT what your receiver is, so it's time to upgrade it, and run a single digital coax cable or an optical cable.
Old 12-26-00, 09:06 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but even if your receiver were Dolby Digital "Ready," your player doesn't decode the DD (or the DTS) signal, it only passes them through for another component to decode it.

For now, you can use the analog 2 channel audio outs (should be colored white and red) to hook the player up to your existing receiver. That will give you Dolby pro logic surround sound.

You'll have to buy a new receiver to get DD and/or DTS, though.

-David