DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

stupoid question

Old 12-25-00, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the difference between DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 and also if I want to experience either of these can I get a reciever with these features along with the appropriate speakers, or do I also have to buy a decoder?
Old 12-25-00, 04:28 PM

oops I guess I meant srupid
Old 12-25-00, 05:05 PM

Hi Torque,
Basically, Dolby Digital and DTS are methods of encoding audio.

A DVD's audio must be in Dolby Digital (or PCM) because that has been made the standard.
DTS is a competing system and although its not mandatory for a DVD to have its audio encoded in DTS a lot of studios are including DTS audiotracks also for those who prefer it to Dolby Digital.

Which one is better? Dolby Digital or DTS?
Well, that's a hard question to answer. A lot of people can't tell the difference while others can. DTS uses less compression than Dolby Digital but DTS doesn't have some of the advantages that Dolby Digital has.

To listen to DVD's in 5.1 (either Dolby Digital or DTS) you will need a decoder so I'd suggest you get a nice receiver equipped with a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder. You will also need 5 speakers and sub to take advantage of all the channels of 5.1 audio.