Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How do I get sound out of a DTS dvd disc?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How do I get sound out of a DTS dvd disc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-00, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a newbie here. I have a Panasonic A310 dvd player with DD/DTS decoder built in. Question is when I play a DTS disc do I need a separate DTS decoder to get sound or just a receiver with DTS decoder built in? Can someone explain the proper setup for DTS since currently I'm looking into buying new receiver and speakers?

Old 12-21-00, 12:05 PM
Cool New Member

You could save yourself some money buy finding a DD/DTS "compatible" receiver that has DD/DTS analog inputs. Or, since you want to enjoy everything that is currently available, such as DTS-ES(7.1 channel audio), you could find a receiver with it's own decoders,(which are arguably better at handling the audio).

------------------
"...want to see something really scary?"
Old 12-21-00, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your player will output DTS through its 5.1 analog outputs, all you need is a "5.1 ready" receiver. This is a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs on the back. You'd hook up (6) cables between the 5.1 output on your dvd player and the 5.1 input on your receiver.

You also could get a "DD/DTS-decoding" receiver, in which case you'd simply go from the (single) digital output on your dvd player to a digital input on your receiver. This solution will be more flexible (you'll be able to add more DD/DTS equipment in the future and bass management will be better), and will probably sound better (the decoder in most DD/DTS receivers is better than the decoder in most players that have one), but will cost a bit more.

I think/hope I answered your question. Feel free to use the search button to find more info, or ask other questions you can't find the answers to.

-S
Old 12-21-00, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't believe that the A310 has a DTS decoder built in, so you will need to buy a receiver that does DTS decoding and connect it using the digital output on the DVD player. No additional hardware should be neccessary.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-00, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
I don't believe that the A310 has a DTS decoder built in...
<HR>

I'm pretty sure it does.
Old 12-21-00, 12:42 PM

Here's another question. My old receiver does support not DD/DTS that why I'm getting a new one. On the back off my DVD player there are the 5.1 analog out and "mixed out" (Left and Right). I'm currently connecting the "mixed out" to my receiver. When I play a DD5.1 disc it does send sound to the receiver and when I play a DTS disc I get no sound at all. I tried connecting the front Left and Right channel to receiver, but still no sound with DTS disc. It is because I must connect the receiver through the digital out?

Old 12-21-00, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by integra_type_r:
Can someone explain the proper setup for DTS since currently I'm looking into buying new receiver and speakers?
<HR>

The setup requires:

A DVD player that passes the DTS bitstream
A DTS decoder
A receiver/amplifier w/5 speakers & sub

It is easiest - and probably best - to buy a DVD player that passes the DTS bitstream and get a receiver with the DTS decoder built in. This is the most flexible solution. Alternatively, you could buy an outboard decoder (more expensive - now you're up to three components) or buy a player with a DTS decoder built-in (you will not be able to decode other DTS components, like LD players, PS2, etc.).

quote:<HR>Here's another question. My old receiver does support not DD/DTS that why I'm getting a new one. On the back off my DVD player there are the 5.1 analog out and "mixed out" (Left and Right). I'm currently connecting the "mixed out" to my receiver. When I play a DD5.1 disc it does send sound to the receiver and when I play a DTS disc I get no sound at all. I tried connecting the front Left and Right channel to receiver, but still no sound with DTS disc. It is because I must connect the receiver through the digital out?<HR>

Yes, because your DVD player cannot decode DTS, only pass the bitstream through the digital output. It may be least expensive for you to buy a separate decoder component, like the Technics SH-AC500D, and connect it between the DVD player and receiver. Otherwise, I would suggest buying a new receiver that has the DTS decoder built in.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-00, 01:05 PM

It makes sense now. Thank guys!

Slightly off-topic, I'm in process of looking for receiver and full set of speakers. Any recommendation? You know what I want for receiver (DD5.1/DTS decoder). I plan to spend around $1K-1.5K for the entire home theater system. Any place online with good pricing? 800.com selection seems to be very limited.
Old 12-21-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, because your DVD player cannot decode DTS, only pass the bitstream through the digital output.
<HR>

This remains as untrue as it was the first time you said it.

Old 12-21-00, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by stevevt:
This remains as untrue as it was the first time you said it.
<HR>

From the product specs (unfortunately, Panasonic no longer provides an information page for this unit so this information was found on several commercial pages):

AUDIO

Advanced Built-in Dolby Digital® 5.1 ch Surround Decoder
Virtual Surround Sound
96kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
DTS Digital Out & Dolby Digital® Out
Headphone Jack with Volume Control
Dual Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/Optical)

It clearly states that the unit can output the DTS and DD bitstream, but it's built-in decoder can apparently only handle Dolby Digital. If you can provide differing information, I'm sure that integra_type_r would much appreciate it.
Old 12-21-00, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by integra_type_r:
Slightly off-topic, I'm in process of looking for receiver and full set of speakers. Any recommendation? You know what I want for receiver (DD5.1/DTS decoder). I plan to spend around $1K-1.5K for the entire home theater system. Any place online with good pricing? 800.com selection seems to be very limited.
<HR>

You might want to start a new thread with this question, so that you get better responses.
Also, this type of question gets asked a lot, so you can try using the "Search" funtion on this page to find other threads about "receiver recoomendations", etc. Even displaying the last 10 days may show a few related topics.
Old 12-21-00, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From the product specs (unfortunately, Panasonic no longer provides an information page for this unit so this information was found on several commercial pages):

AUDIO

Advanced Built-in Dolby Digital® 5.1 ch Surround Decoder
Virtual Surround Sound
96kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
DTS Digital Out & Dolby Digital® Out
Headphone Jack with Volume Control
Dual Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/Optical)

It clearly states that the unit can output the DTS and DD bitstream, but it's built-in decoder can apparently only handle Dolby Digital. If you can provide differing information, I'm sure that integra_type_r would much appreciate it.
<HR>

Thanks for keeping this civil.

I realize I was kinda grumpy above, or at least I might have come across that way.

If you look at the reviews at http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/D...uct_4865.shtml many of them specifically mention that the 310 will pass DTS through the 5.1 outputs. I also remember reading this in several reviews, and in various forums, and on usenet. I agree that having a manufacturer's page would be more definitive, but there's at least a bunch of corroboration at audioreview.

Anyhow, I think we both agree that i_t_r would be better off getting a receiver with DD and DTS built in.

If he can find something significantly cheaper used or closeout or b-stock (check www.tsto.com and www.soundcity.com among others) it might make sense to go the 5.1-ready receiver route.

-S
Old 12-21-00, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DTS-Man:
You could save yourself some money buy finding a DD/DTS "compatible" receiver that has DD/DTS analog inputs. Or, since you want to enjoy everything that is currently available, such as DTS-ES(7.1 channel audio), you could find a receiver with it's own decoders,(which are arguably better at handling the audio).

<HR>

The DTS-ES Discrete format is a 6.1 channel format not 7.1, with 6 full-range channels and a limited .1 channel.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Miami Dolphins: AFC Champs 2000.

RTFM!