Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT Code Blue Emergency

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT Code Blue Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-00, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help!

Last night, my wife left a vase of roses sitting atop my t.v./vcr/dvd player/reciever. Around 1a.m., our stupid cat dumped the vase over. Luckily, the water missed the vcr and dvd player, but was a direct hit on the reciever (a yahmaha RX-V595A, it will be one year old in January).

The reciever was off, and I immediately dried up as much water as I could from the exterior, and then tipped and tilted the reciever to get as much water out of it as possible. Unfortunately, I did not think to unplug it.

Well this morning, I tried to turn it on, but it would just turn back off immediatly. I am guessing it may be in some kind of safety mode. So, I unplugged it and left for work.

What should I do now? I am guessing that if I try to get it fixed under warranty, claiming that it just stopped working, they will be able to tell it is water damaged regardless of how long I let it dry.

How long should I let it dry before trying to turn it on again? I am guessing that at most, 20oz of water hit it. Even if it does begin working again, is it likely that there will be corrosion problems in the future and it will fry itself?

I do have renters insurance, which may cover this, but I don't want to bring them in unless it is necessary.

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 12-19-00, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm . . . you might try opening up the receiver and using a hair dryer to eliminate any remaining moisture. Unfortunately, this would (or might) have worked better before you powered the unit back on. I'm guessing that any damage that was done, is done.

If the above I would still try to have the unit serviced under warranty. I spilled water on my laptop and IBM repaired it for free.

Best of luck.