Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Banana Plugs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-00, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently running bare wire into my receiver (from the rears and center). However, I have upgraded to banana plugs going directly into the speakers. I was thinking about upgrading all of the cable ends to banana plugs. Does anybody have any input on this? Will I notice any difference in performance? Aside from not stripping any wire (when plugging/unplugging speakers) are there any other advantages to this upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 12:33 PM

Bananna plugs are good if you switch around cables/speakers a lot. There will be a decrease in sound quality, although it might not necessasarily be noticable. High-quality bananna plugs can also be a little pricey (around 4 bucks a piece), so you're talking upwards of $60 to do your whole system.
Old 12-11-00, 12:38 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dominus:
There will be a decrease in sound quality, although it might not necessasarily be noticable.<HR>

If anyone can actually hear a difference in sound quality resulting from gold banana plugs I would sure like to hear about it. There is almost no loss (unperceivable) in signal if you use decent gold-plated banana plugs. Another benefit to using banana plugs is the wire will not corrode as fast as bare wire.

Old 12-11-00, 12:38 PM

Dominus: Given that I will not be moving my system around very much at all, you don't think this will be a necessary upgrade? Thanks a lot!

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 12:41 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BartleyR7:
Given that I will not be moving my system around very much at all, you don't think this will be a necessary upgrade? Thanks a lot!

<HR>

I would make the upgrade. To me it was worth the extra $30. You can pick up a set of four solderless gold plated banana plugs at Rat Shack for around $5. Not only does it save you the hassle when moving speakers but it also saves you the hassle of having to strip the wires every time they get corroded.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-11-00, 12:47 PM

Okay, so I'm pretty much convinced that I'll go ahead and make the upgrade (per ZenDog's posts). Are the Monster banana plug Twist-and-Crimp plugs good? I can get them for half-price (since I can get the BestBuy employee discount).

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 12:59 PM

This is an issue very similar to the digital coax vs. optical argument. The difference in sound quality is nearly negligable, it's really more of a convenience issue than anything else. I personally don't move my speakers around enough to justify bannana plugs, and haven't ever noticed any problems with corrosion of my bare wires.
Old 12-11-00, 01:42 PM
Cool New Member

You will be much happier with the banna plugs. The convience issue alone is enough to persuade anyone to use them. Plus you will never have a corrosion problem. TRUST ME, I'm an expert.
Old 12-11-00, 01:59 PM

I'm not sure where all this mention of corrosion comes into effect. I've been using stereo equipment for over a decade and have never gotten corrosion on my speaker terminals or wires. Doesn't corrosion happen best in warm, moist environments? That's no place for a home theater receiver. Maybe you have systems in your basement, but corrosion has never been a problem with me, except with car stereos, but those are more outside and more subject to the elements. In some situations, it sounds like a yearly chore to strip down speaker wire to remove corrosion.
Old 12-11-00, 02:00 PM

Welcome to the forum Pnub_31!

Thanks!

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-11-00, 02:20 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BenCJedi:
I'm not sure where all this mention of corrosion comes into effect. I've been using stereo equipment for over a decade and have never gotten corrosion on my speaker terminals or wires. Doesn't corrosion happen best in warm, moist environments? That's no place for a home theater receiver. Maybe you have systems in your basement, but corrosion has never been a problem with me, except with car stereos, but those are more outside and more subject to the elements. In some situations, it sounds like a yearly chore to strip down speaker wire to remove corrosion. <HR>

Well corosion is not a problem for all people but it also depends on many variables. There are many people that have had problems with corrosion especially in in parts of the country which experience a lot of humidity. Don't forget that there is always moisture in the air so corrosion is inevitable. Your wires will most likely just turn a brown color over time instead of the bright shiny copper color of new wires. This corrosion will play a small part in the SQ of your system though.
Old 12-12-00, 01:30 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warning:

Not all receivers have the +/- receptacles the same distance apart. So if you get dual banana plugs that cannot be separated, you may not be able to make the connection. Granted, this may be an issue on only a small number of receivers, but you may want to get single plugs for each (i.e., two singles for each speaker.

I haven't made the switch yet, but if I do, I was looking at these plugs:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2462&DID=7

So that's 7$ per speaker to do both ends of each speaker. Thus, you could do your entire 5.1 system (not counting any possible sub connections) for $42 plus shipping. Not bad. Dayton is parts Express' house brand, and looks better constucted than others on their site.
Old 12-12-00, 10:40 PM

Interesting commments all around.

IMHO, bare wires into speakers is a
horrendous setup.

Reasons to use bananas: less oxidation issues
of the copper, tighter connections (a
trailing copper strand can introduce all
sorts of noise), convenience of plugging /
unplugging with ease.

I think they were $30-40 for all of them,
quite a bargain for what they offer.

$.02

Old 12-12-00, 10:58 PM

Thanks to everybody who responded.

I am convinced that I will go ahead and make the upgrade to the banana plugs. I'm looking at the Monster Cable Twist-n-Crimp banana plugs (which are seperate, like you suggested JLB). Does anybody have a take on these?

Thanks!

------------------

"PC Load Letter?!?"

My Growing DVD Collection

[This message has been edited by BartleyR7 (edited December 12, 2000).]
Old 12-12-00, 11:47 PM

I was just coming here to ask the same question...looks like I will be making the banana plugs purchase as well...

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-13-00, 09:49 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a follow-up. From this board I have come to the opinion that you don't always need to pay the bucks for Monster Cables to get the quality you need. I scanned Monster's site and I think the connectors mentioned are around 12-14 for two pairs.

I second my vote for these connectors from Parts Express. I have only heard good things about them as a dealer, and these look like fairly rugged connectors.

This is just my $.02, but I guess I am just saying to make sure you do a little bit of research, beyond what is already in this thread, before you get the Monster connectors. They may turn out to be the best for you, but if not, the extra bucks could get you another movie or two.....
Old 12-13-00, 10:08 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JLB:
Just a follow-up. From this board I have come to the opinion that you don't always need to pay the bucks for Monster Cables to get the quality you need. I scanned Monster's site and I think the connectors mentioned are around 12-14 for two pairs.
<HR>

I agree with this, JLB. However, I can get the Monster Cable gear for half-price (due to an employee discount). Do you think it would be worth it then? Thank you for your input! I apprecite it.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My Growing DVD Collection
Old 12-13-00, 10:44 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BartleyR7:
I agree with this JLB. However, I can get the Monster Cable gear for half-price (due to an employee discount). Do you think it would be worth it then? Thank you for your input! I apprecite it.
<HR>

I would definately get the Monster banana plugs if you can get them for half the price. They are good banana plugs and you are getting an excellent price.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited December 13, 2000).]