Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can I use DVD with my TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can I use DVD with my TV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-00, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have been researching DVD and really don't know a whole lot about it. We were told that if our TV does not have the s-video jacks that we really shouldn't even bother with DVD. Is that true? We have a 32" panasonic TV that is almost 3 years old and it does not have the s-video jack. It just has the regular A/V input outputs. We do have all the surround sound equipment though. Could anyone tell us if we can still hook up a DVD, if it is a good idea to go with a DVD player, (our VCR is nearly dead), and if anyone has any advice on what to look for in a good DVD player.
Thanks
newbi
Old 12-02-00, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can still hook your player up via the composite inputs on the back of your TV....the picture will not be as good but you will still notice the difference in quality over VHS!!!!

DVD is here to stay and will soon replace the VCR once the market is flooded with affordable dvd recorders.

Welcome to the forum!!!

You can get the Panasonic dvd player mentioned in this thread at Amazon for $129 after rebate....click on this thread and read!!!
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/017318.html

Here is the panasonic rebate form.....
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...dvd_mailin.htm

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 02, 2000).]
Old 12-02-00, 04:42 PM

Who ever said that doesn't know what they're talking about.
All DVD players will have a composite (RCA type) output. True, composite video quality might not be as great as S-Video (as there's a leap from composite to S-Video and less of a leap from S-Video to component) but it still beats VHS tapes.

Trust me. I'm in the same position as you are. My TV only has composite inputs and the picture quality on DVD is still way better than VHS using a composite connection.

I've had my Panasonic RV30 player for almost a month now and its been great thus far.

For a nice entry level player look at:
Panasonic RV30
Pioneer DV-333

Hope that helps,
Andy
Old 12-02-00, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let us know what you finally decide on....there are great deals online currently...deals I would not pass up!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-02-00, 06:48 PM

newbi - some diehards will tell you not to bother with DVD unless you have component/S-Video connections and Dolby Digital with surround sound speakers. That's the optimum set-up, but its definitely not needed. I have a 4 year old 27 inch Sony Trinitron without S-Video, so I'm in the same boat as you. Go ahead and buy yourself the $130 Panasonic RV30 and hook it up to your 32 inch TV. You'll be happy with it. I also don't have surround sound with Dolby Digital, but its no big deal. I run it through my home stereo with a 10 inch subwoofer and am very happy with it.
Old 12-02-00, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay guys....start the chant......

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 12-02-00, 07:43 PM

Thanks All!!! We will definately be getting a DVD. I was so glad to hear that we can hook it to our "older" TV. Wish we had the newer better quality s-video.... oh well, our next TV.
Old 12-02-00, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by newbi:
Thanks All!!! We will definately be getting a DVD. I was so glad to hear that we can hook it to our "older" TV. Wish we had the newer better quality s-video.... oh well, our next TV. <HR>

You won't be dissapointed.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-02-00, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>I also don't have surround sound with Dolby Digital, but its no big deal.<HR>

Spoken like a person who's never heard a quality surround setup! DTS/DD 5.1 is A BIG DEAL! No if ands or buts about it!

newbi
Definetly get a DVD player ASAP and start snatching up the great deals available at B & M stores this holiday season! Even if you can't take advantage of all the features of DVD right now, you will be able to in the future and right now you can take advantage of a improved video, audio and the special feature like behind the scenes featurettes, story boards etc...

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 12-05-00, 10:00 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by billytune:
Here is a great unit that has everything. It is being offered by EasyWeb TV (http://www.easywebtv.com/eztv.htm ). I love mine! and if you hurry, they are still giving away their Mini-Vacation Certificates with each new order.
The EZTV-2500 is the complete Internet and Entertainment solution! In addition to surfing the web, writing email and talking on the Internet Picture Phone enjoy advanced entertainment features such as DVD, Karaoke, CD and MP3!
Includes : Digital Cam, Wireless Keyboard, Microphone & Remote Control
Introductory Offer only $549. Save $50 off MSRP suggested retail price of $599
<HR>

Hey Billytune,
Do you work for this company or something cause you sure sound like you are trying to sell this unit. It also doesn't help that you posted the exact same message in other posts about people looking for dvd players. Never heard of this unit and I am curious if anyone else knows if this is a scam.
Old 12-05-00, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks All!!! We will definately be getting a DVD. I was so glad to hear that we can hook it to our "older" TV. Wish we had the newer better quality s-video.... oh well, our next TV. <HR>

I was in the same boat you are in about a month ago...then our TV died and we were forced to upgrade. Got the Pioneer DV-333 the following week and the rest is history!
Old 12-05-00, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
Hey Billytune,
Do you work for this company or something cause you sure sound like you are trying to sell this unit. It also doesn't help that you posted the exact same message in other posts about people looking for dvd players. Never heard of this unit and I am curious if anyone else knows if this is a scam.
<HR>

I was wondering this myself....

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 12-05-00, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From another thread:
quote:<HR>Has anyone purchased the EZTV-2500 Internet Access Player from EasyWeb TV.com. I want to purchase a DVD player and have been shopping around when I ran across this unit. For the price ($549) it seems to have a lot features and capabilities
that other DVD players (similarly priced) don’t have. If you have one of these units or used one, please let me know what you think. It seems like a good deal to me??
Thanks, Billy Tune<HR>

First this phucken moran says he is looking to buy this unit and now he owns one and loves it???? Why would anyone be interested in buy this crap when the sales practice is a scam...really says a lot for the product and the company.
Old 12-07-00, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Coop:
[B]newbi - some diehards .....Go ahead and buy yourself the $130 Panasonic RV30 and hook it up .....snip

Coop where can I get the RV30 for $130?
Old 12-08-00, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by tireman9:
[b]Originally posted by Coop:
newbi - some diehards .....Go ahead and buy yourself the $130 Panasonic RV30 and hook it up .....snip

Coop where can I get the RV30 for $130?
<HR>

Look up toward the beginning of this thread....I posted a response to this already!!! As long as Amazon's $50 off $200 electronics coupon is still active...the player is listed for around $229 or so....then Panasonic has a $50 mail-in rebate!!! Check the links on my post!!

------------------

Barney Fife

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited December 08, 2000).]
Old 12-08-00, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you buy online from amazon, make sure you use their $50 off $200 coupon. you can get an amazing deal this way. check out www.techbargains.com for the specifics. i think the coupon code is amznelectrcs or something like that...

Old 12-10-00, 05:11 PM

Yes, you can still hook up your DVD player with composite inputs. It will still look great and you will really enjoy the DVD experience. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! Good Luck.