Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Small buget Home theatre Sys

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Small buget Home theatre Sys

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-00, 06:33 PM
SGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of getting a JBL NSP1 Home Cinema speakers. If I am rich enough, I might get the Denon AV1801 receiver to match it. What do u guys think ?

NSP1 abt 310 USD
Denon 1801 abt 380 USD

Might need a subwoofer for it too.
Old 12-07-00, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I LOVE Denon stuff...but with your budget, perhaps you should look into the Onkyo's, particularly the 575x or a refurbed 676. You'll get more features and power from Onkyo's at that price, IMO.

I also think you can do better than the JBLs (no knock on the JBL though). Energys (Take 5 I believe) are around the same price...maybe with sub even! If you can spend a little more, look into low end Paradigm (i.e. Titans), PSB (Alphas, mini-Alphas), or a little known company called HTD (www.hometheaterdirect.com).

Good LUck!
Old 12-07-00, 06:55 PM
SGP

Thanks Zenerdiode ! Accidentally I know what your name means since I am a Computer Engineering major.

The Onkyo does have more features but I am a little worried abt the quality of it and it has the same price as the Denon AVR-1801.

Energy Take 5 costs abt 600 USD which is a bit out of my budget. I have read a lot of good reviews abt this set of speakers.

Ah well, if I buy an additonal subwoofer for my JBL speakers, it will be abt the same price as the Energy Take 5.

I was hoping that I could find some way to use the MCI 150 Amazon gift cert for this purchase. But they either sell stuff at higher prices or they don't carry quality stuff that I am looking for. Thanks for your opinon.
Old 12-07-00, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey! Us ME's know what a Zener Diode is too! Not that I know what to do with it...

I concur. The above suggestion for the Energy Take 5 is great. As far as an affordable recevier goes though I'd go for the Harman Kardon AVR-65. You get DD/DTS and preamps on all channels for $350. Easily the best buy in receivers right now. It is a refurb, but does come with a full manufacturers warranty as well. Check it out: www.harmanoutlet.com if they have any left. You can get a good price on the Take 5 system at www.wholesaleconnection.com too. I think it's $350 without sub. Maybe with sub. I don't know. Anyhow, that's probably the best way to go in the affordable range. Good luck.
Old 12-08-00, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by SGP:
Thanks Zenerdiode ! Accidentally I know what your name means since I am a Computer Engineering major.

The Onkyo does have more features but I am a little worried abt the quality of it and it has the same price as the Denon AVR-1801.

Energy Take 5 costs abt 600 USD which is a bit out of my budget. I have read a lot of good reviews abt this set of speakers.

Ah well, if I buy an additonal subwoofer for my JBL speakers, it will be abt the same price as the Energy Take 5.

I was hoping that I could find some way to use the MCI 150 Amazon gift cert for this purchase. But they either sell stuff at higher prices or they don't carry quality stuff that I am looking for. Thanks for your opinon.
<HR>

Energy Take 5's are about $300 without sub at www.audioshop.on.ca
they don't take web orders and you have to call them up to ask about pricing b/c energy stopped them from posting prices. but call and ask for marc hallam. nice guy, and they have super service. they'll quote you CDN$ but the US rate comes out very favorably. comes out much cheaper than in the US because Energy speakers are from Canada.
Old 12-08-00, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I'm an ME/AE too, though now I'm getting a doctorate in EM...go figure.

Don't worry about the build quality of Onkyos. Built as well as Denon IMO. I would have to respectfully disagree with the H/K option however. From personal experience and friends' experience, HKs are a fickle bunch. I've had an HK cd changer and HK stereo amp go dead on me or had minor problems (i.e. wouldn't accept programming any more). My friends have had their fair share of problems with HKs. Perhaps this is why it is so easy to find HK refurbs? On the other hand, however, when my HK amp worked, it produced some of the most warm, beautiful music I've heard. So...buyer beware is the message, I suppose.

Serioulsy consider the HTD Level 3s if you are going to spend $600 on speakers and sub. You can check out the excellent review at etown.com. But I would definitely go for the Energy Take 5 over the JBLs if you can't afford the Level 3s. Use the $150 gift certificate from Amazon to buy the X-files Collection DVD and FleaBay it. That's what I did with a buy.com $100 GC...ending up making an extra $10!!!! That $150 GC is now cash you can invest in a better system.

Old 12-08-00, 12:28 PM
SGP

Thanks guys for your opinons, I appreciate it. I am new to this home theatre thing so any opinons will be helpful.

I kind of like the Onkyo 575X after seeing it. Energy Take 5 is on my list if I can get it for abt 300 USD.

Is there a best value subwoofer to recommend to run with the Energy Take 5 ? I am trying to refrain from spending too much money.
Old 12-08-00, 12:41 PM
SGP

Saw Audiosource 12" Power subwoofer SWTWELVE.
They are selling for 180 USD after 10% discount at 800.com. Then I found out that Amazon does sell this too ! So I could use the MCI 150 gift cert after all.

It has a variable crossover freq which is kind of nice. Any opinons ? Anyone is using this ? Is this good ? or too good for Energy Take 5 ?

[This message has been edited by SGP (edited December 08, 2000).]
Old 12-10-00, 05:04 PM

The Energy Take 5 system is a great system and should produce some good sound. But the receiver you are leaning toward, in my opinion, isn't as good as the DENON AVR-1801. The 1801 to me, has a more fuller, warmer, and overall better sound than the Onkyo. I was in the same position as you are a few weeks ago and I decided on the DENON because the sound was more realistic with the DENON. Well, good luck and God Bless.
Old 12-10-00, 05:13 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by SGP:
Thanks guys for your opinons, I appreciate it. I am new to this home theatre thing so any opinons will be helpful.

I kind of like the Onkyo 575X after seeing it. Energy Take 5 is on my list if I can get it for abt 300 USD.

Is there a best value subwoofer to recommend to run with the Energy Take 5 ? I am trying to refrain from spending too much money.
<HR>

A local a/v shop over here has the Take 5 System here for 300 without the sub, so you could probably find it where you are for about the same. I think he wanted 600 with the sub. You proably also want to take a look at the new Paradigm Cinema system (http://www.paradigm.com/Website/News/newsflash/cinema2.html) as well as the Klipsch Quintet system (http://www.klipsch.com/home/quint0002.htm)

If you are looking for an all-in-one solution, Pioneer has the HTZ-55DV available now. It's got a DVD Player, DD/DTS decoder and amp, speakers, powered sub, and even s-video switching for about 630 shipped online.