Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sealed or Ported Speakers for HT setup????

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sealed or Ported Speakers for HT setup????

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-00, 06:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering which type of cabinet would overall sound better for the 5 speakers in my HT(not including Sub). I am not so sure myself. I've noticed that a lot of the speakers out there are ported. With the exception to the NHT's.

One other thing that I would like to ask you opinion on? I've somewhat narrowed down the selection of speakers down to 5 different makes. NHT, PSB, Paradigm, Klipsch, and Energy. Which would you favor????

I know it all matters of what I think but I would still like to get some feedback?? Or any other suggestions on brands. Looking to spend around a $1000 for all 5. 70% movies 30% music. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-00, 07:00 PM
Banned

bungee, just as guidance, keep in mind that a ported design GENERALLY SPEAKING indicates a weakly designed enclosure - period!
Old 12-02-00, 07:02 PM

You can't go wrong with Polk, Klipsch, Infiniti, Paradigm, etc. Its all personal preference. For that kind of money try them all out. I have Klipsch main speakers that I bought in 1989 and still love them. Recently added a 10 inch Boston Acoustics subwoofer.
Old 12-02-00, 07:25 PM
Cool New Member

I just keep noticing that most of the speakers I am listening to are ported includingthe paradigm's and also the Klipsch's. I wouldn't think I would want to get any kind of boomy bass (if much of any, I figure sub will cover low's) from my surrounds and I've been told most ported speakers will get that.
Old 12-02-00, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>keep in mind that a ported design GENERALLY SPEAKING indicates a weakly designed enclosure - period!<HR>

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard! Why do you thing most pro speaker manufacturers use ported designs? Because they offer better efficiency, not because they wanted to develop a poor quality enclosure! The main reason (as stated above) for ported designs is to give better over speaker efficiency. Most ported designs have efficiency ratings in the mid 90db to 100+db output @ 1/watt @1 meter, as opposed to sealed enclosures that usually run from the high 70db's to mid-80db range. The higher efficiency speakers will allow you higher sound levels using less amp watts.

Both designs have there pluses and minuses but if done correctly both offer outstanding quality for HT as well as music.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited December 02, 2000).]
Old 12-03-00, 12:20 AM
Cool New Member

OK, I am still not sure here. I know I need to listen for myself, I feel I have enough power to push both sealed and ported enclosures. But I still would like to know which one would sound more precise or lifelike in an HT environment?????
Old 12-03-00, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bungee91:
OK, I am still not sure here. I know I need to listen for myself, I feel I have enough power to push both sealed and ported enclosures. But I still would like to know which one would sound more precise or lifelike in an HT environment?????<HR>

That is something that you are going to have to decide for yourself, and nothing anyone says on here can dispute what you hear with your own ears. Precise and lifelike are not things that can be judged by any one person. Someone may own a set of KLH speakers and think they sound like the best speakers in the world, while the audiophile next door laughs and thinks his Dunlavys are the be-all-end-all. Ok, maybe that's an unfair comparison, but if it sounds good to you...then it sounds good.

As you said, you need to listen for yourself. Truer words were never spoken.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
See You Next Wednesday (in Feel Around)
Old 12-03-00, 11:00 AM

Yes, listen for yourself. If it sounds good to you, then does it really matter if it's ported?

A rule of thumb in the car stereo world on ported enclosures is anything over 1 cubic foot enclosure WILL have a port. Anything under 1 cubic foot enclosure WILL NOT have a port. I'm not exactly sure if this overlaps into the home market.

------------------
My Site
Old 12-03-00, 04:39 PM
Cool New Member

I do agree that it is all my taste that will matter in choosing th right speakers. I have listened to almost all of them and am thinking towards the Klipsh's or the paradigm's. Dou you think it would be better to match three across the front or two and a center channel. They say they are sonically the same but the center always ends up costing alot more. Is there really a great improvement in that channels reproduction with the special made speaker or would it sound practically identical with the same center as the fronts.(Example, 3 Mini monitors across the front or a cc-350 for the center??)
Thanks
Old 12-03-00, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's always best to have the exact same speakers across the front HT stage but for most people with fullsize front L/R speakers it's not practical so the next best option is to get the same speaker line's center channel to get the best "timbre" matching. You must remember that the center speaker has just as much bass eminating from it as the other front speakers so if at all possible a fullsize center is preferred for this reason as well.

I myself have gone with a fullsize matching center and am extremely pleased with the smooth transitions from left to right!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 12-03-00, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BillumillAmerika, I'm sorry, but I have to sound off on this one too. A ported design is in NO WAY a sign of a weaker speaker quality. Ported designs are among the tops in the field of home theater and audio in general, designs from VonSchweikert, Meadowlark, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, etc. etc. I could go on for hours. Now it is true that a lot of the cheaper manufacturers will use a port in some speakers because of the significant boost in efficiency and the simple fact that it can be tuned to create deeper bass (not really deeper but more prominant) making the speaker sound bigger without having to spend $$$ on the drivers. Now when this porting technology is taken to the next level it can become something magical. Go listen to some Meadowlark speakers and you'll see what I mean. They used a very highly regarded porting technique with their speakers that is just beautiful. My Von's do the same (only the bass driver ported). It's just "rubbish" that a port is a sign of a weaker speaker. I understand how you could make such a statement, it is very possible for a less knowledgable person to simply throw a port on a soofer to enhance the bassand thereby reduce the quality of the speaker, but with all the brands mentioned above this would NEVER be the case.

Bungee91, in answer to your question: AUDITION AUDITION AUDITION! There's a very good chance that would would be happy chosing any setup from the manufacturers mentioned above. Odds are you can't go wrong. To make it even harder here are some extra brands in that price range to look at:

Anthony Gallo Acoustics: Micros
Monitor Audio: Silvers
B&W: Infamiliar with line
M&K: 750 & 150 lines
Atlantic Technology: 350 line (Onecall has great prices)
Definitive Technology: BP's

Etc...

Chosing speakers is the hardest thing to do in the world. Enjoy it.

My personal opinion is Monitor Audio, Paradigm, NHT and Gallo. Price vs. Performance in that order. NHT's lower only because they aren't the best HT speaker, better for music.
Old 12-03-00, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, answer more questions: The LCR 350 is a great center and would sound great alone or all three across the front. No matter which monitors you had as sides. IDEALY the front 3 should be identical, but not even THX standards require this. VERY few companies don't make a specialized center for their systems. Even the M&K THX 150's which look almost identical across the front have a specialized center channel. My father has Monitor 7's with a LCR-300 or something like that center (tops before the 350) and it sounds amazing for the price. As long as you follow brands and model lines the fronts should be very nicely matched. The reason most people use bigger left and right channels then teh center is for music. 2 Channel audio will never die and those are the speakers that matter the most! Hell, I only use 2 speakers in the front with phantom center. Anyhow, what Frank S said is pretty much right on. Just one thing. If the speakers are going to be pretty far apart (around 10+ feet for the L/R) you might want to go with the center. They often have a wider dispersion than the sides and will make the pans seem more seemless. However you go it sounds like you're on the right track. good luck
Old 12-03-00, 11:59 PM
Cool New Member

I am going to listen to everything before I make a selection. I am not sure how the imaging will be in my room it's dimension is 10 X 22. I am not even sure exactly how I will be able to place them for the best sound. The one thing that I feel will attract me more towards the PSB's is that they are front ported so that I will be able to put them more up against the wall ( which will have to be done with atleast one speaker). I would also appreciate it if someone could help me with placement on the speakers. (As far as how many feet they should be from my ears, or from where I am sitting). Thanks for the insight Poorboy I will try and listen to the other brands you have listed.
Old 12-04-00, 07:02 PM
Banned

yessir poorboy, you said, you can go on for hours! Not interested in expanding topic with amateurs!
Old 12-04-00, 11:01 PM
Cool New Member

Could someone please list the plusses and minuses to sealed and ported encloures other than the efficiency issues. It would be very much appreciated, I think I have an idea of good and bad features of each but am uncertain which one I should prefer in my situation.
Thanks a lot
Old 12-05-00, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, BillumillAmerika, educate us ametuers on the professional advantages of sealed designs over ported ones.

- Not meant to be insulting, I don't deny being an ameteur, not until next fall do I take Acoustics...
Old 12-05-00, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

It would appreciated if you would post the advantages for me to see.
Old 12-05-00, 06:04 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bungee91:
It would appreciated if you would post the advantages for me to see.<HR>

This is far more complicated than a simple list of features and benefits. Yes, porting speakers makes them more efficient and gives higher db bass output, but it gets far more involved then that. Beyond those basic reasons, it gets into individual changes based on different drivers and enclosures. This is not your typical electronics features & benefits conversation, but one that requires very high levels of knowledge of physics and acoustics.

[This message has been edited by Green Jello (edited December 05, 2000).]
Old 12-05-00, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

Well thanks for the enlightenment Green Jello, I am justtrying to weigh my options and get the best sounding speakers all around for around $1000 in a 10 X 22 sized room.
If you have a suggestion for five identical speakers it would help a bunch
Thanks
Old 12-06-00, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Bill I will sound in here from a professional point of view. Poorboy is right.

The problem you may be thinking of is in the low-end where the design is average at best a port can be boomy. But in a well-designed system with the port blended well with the bottom end of the LF it will actually extend the low-end freq response. Now add efficiency, which has already be mentioned. This is most important because we are using lower powered av amps now as opposed to the mono blocks of old. This is the main reason that in fact a port could be better. An inefficient system can cause clipping, which will sound worse than even the cheapest ported systems.

Poorboy, it is great to see you still posting! I hope all is well with you.