Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

how are you simplifying the cable mess of your HT system?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

how are you simplifying the cable mess of your HT system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-00, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had looped several cables and used ties to organize them behind the tv but this was causing interference problems for my tv. now the cables just hang there but it's very messy (although you really can't see them behind the entertainment center & tv).

anyone use any novel method of organizing the cables?

young
Old 12-01-00, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
I bought a stuffed rat and he "lives" in my rats nest of wires. Kidding but I may go out and get one.

Did you use the plastic tie wraps from garbage bags or the ones with thin meatal? I've used both in the past in a vain attempt to keep it clean w/o problems. I also have read of people that found flexible tubing (ribbed straw like cut down hte center, like you might see under the hood of a car) to keep the wires neat. Slightly expensive as I recall but it looks nice. Maybe you can call Radio Shack and see if they carry it if your interested.
Old 12-01-00, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can get that cable organizer stuff that jpcamb mentions at auto parts stores for cheap. They also have a few other nifty cable-organization items there. Last night I bought 7-foot of the cable organizer stuff for $1.99. You can't go wrong.

------------------

Dan

My ever-growing DVD list.
Old 12-01-00, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I have some of the tubing on my rack.

The rack is open air (shelves with no back or front about 6 feet high)

I zip tied a large tube to both supports on the rear (in the corners).

In one tube I ran all the power cables, in the other tube I ran all the component cables. It is a pain to do, but once everything is in place it looks nice and keeps the power from causing any interference with the interlinks.
Old 12-01-00, 02:51 PM

The cable organizer tubing is great stuff. You can find it at Radio Shack, some auto parts stores, and building supply stores (Home Depot, Menards). It comes in a variety of diameters and lengths. Your cables can enter/exit the tubing at any point. Works good to keep small animals and children from chewing your speaker cabling, too . I use it on the HT, computer desk, and to shield lighting wiring on the van. I find it works much better than wire ties because you can always go back and change the cabling without cutting those zip-strips. Now all I have to do is find a place to store all the unused cabling behind the HT!
Old 12-01-00, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought two two bookshelves to place on either side of my HT setup, now guests can't peer behind and see my jungle of wires.
Old 12-02-00, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you can also find velcro "bag ties" at radio shack. they work great. easy to tie together and easy to release. they're color coded too so you can organize by power, interlink, etc., etc...
Old 12-02-00, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right now my cable mess is a minimum, but I'm currently helping my father build a real theater and we've done something special. All the cables and interconnects are hidden. There's a seperate room where the back of the equipment is accessed. The fronts of the gear are built into the wall so that they take up no space in the theater. All cables for the speakers are being ran through the ceiling and walls and jointed with cable boxes built into the wall. The only visible cable will be very short and only run at the most 4-5 feet. Once it's done I'll post the whole process and pictures as we went on a website. Right now it's not even close to done. The only thing the room has that will remain the same is the speakers. Although that's in consideration due to the size of the sub: Paradigm PS-1200. There's no front corner to put this in so a smaller sub may have to be purchased. Possibly an inwall sub...that's a ways away though... For now my system just hangs.
Old 12-02-00, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by PoorBoy:
Right now my cable mess is a minimum, but I'm currently helping my father build a real theater and we've done something special. All the cables and interconnects are hidden. There's a seperate room where the back of the equipment is accessed. The fronts of the gear are built into the wall so that they take up no space in the theater. All cables for the speakers are being ran through the ceiling and walls and jointed with cable boxes built into the wall. The only visible cable will be very short and only run at the most 4-5 feet. Once it's done I'll post the whole process and pictures as we went on a website. Right now it's not even close to done. The only thing the room has that will remain the same is the speakers. Although that's in consideration due to the size of the sub: Paradigm PS-1200. There's no front corner to put this in so a smaller sub may have to be purchased. Possibly an inwall sub...that's a ways away though... For now my system just hangs.<HR>

lucky bastard. i wish my father was as into home theater as i was...