DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV Recommendation?

Old 12-03-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HDTV Recommendation?

It's a good time to replace my theater-room 46" 60Hz Dynex LCD with something better. With all of the holiday sales, this seems like my best opportunity.

I'm looking for a budget (less than $800) LED or Plasma set in the 50" - 60" range. It does not need to be a SmartTV since I have several media boxes hooked through my receiver for streaming. It doesn't need a lot of HDMI inputs, again due to the other A/V devices running through a receiver. I don't have to worry about glare since it's in a windowless room with dimmable lights in the basement.

Currently looking at:

Samsung 60" PN60F5300 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV $748 at Dell (my current favorite)

Samsung 51" PN51F5300 1080p Plasma HDTV $528 at Dell

LG 60-inch Plasma TV - 60PN5300 1080p 600Hz HDTV $709 at Dell

Any feedback on these, or a better recommendation in my price range?
Old 12-03-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: HDTV Recommendation?

I bought the LG 55" fHD, 120hz 55LS4500 for $448 a few months back. It doesn't have true 120hz,and only 2 hdmi inputs, but for a basic hdtv and considering the price, am pretty happy. Only complaint is the rainbow affect at certain angles when using overhead lighting
Old 12-03-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are going to buy plasma buy Panasonic only. It is the last year they are manufacturing them but they are the best plasma TV's at every price point.
Old 12-04-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I bought the LG 55" fHD, 120hz 55LS4500 for $448 a few months back. It doesn't have true 120hz,and only 2 hdmi inputs, but for a basic hdtv and considering the price, am pretty happy. Only complaint is the rainbow affect at certain angles when using overhead lighting
How did you get it for that price?
I'm actually looking for a 50'' under $400, I just want the screen, no smart capabilities or that kind of stuff. I know it's doable, but need to search and be patient.
Old 12-04-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was through Walmart a few months ago. Not sure if you are interested, but there is a 47" lg 60hz fHD for $400.I realize That it is a bit smaller than what you want, but a good deal if you need now .

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/6522686-lg...398-on-walmart

You can set up deal alerts on slickdeals.net for what you want, but the best deals usually die quickly.

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
How did you get it for that price?
I'm actually looking for a 50'' under $400, I just want the screen, no smart capabilities or that kind of stuff. I know it's doable, but need to search and be patient.
Old 12-04-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are planning on playing games on it, you might be interested in checking out the input lag for any TV that you are interested in.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-da...ticipants-list
Old 12-04-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like you just missed some good deals last week, esp. the 50/55" LGs.

For $800, I'd have gotten the 60" Sharp LED. It was $799 at BB and $828 at Dell, not sure if the same model or on sale now. Check techbargains.
http://www.techbargains.com/rss.xml
Old 12-04-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
If you are planning on playing games on it, you might be interested in checking out the input lag for any TV that you are interested in.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-da...ticipants-list
Thanks, but I am more interested in simply watching movies on a big-ass HDTV

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Seems like you just missed some good deals last week, esp. the 50/55" LGs.

For $800, I'd have gotten the 60" Sharp LED. It was $799 at BB and $828 at Dell, not sure if the same model or on sale now. Check techbargains.
http://www.techbargains.com/rss.xml
I know, but I was traveling over the holidays and couldn't do any of the Black Friday in-store deals.

The online deals sold out quickly, too ... so I figured I'd watch and wait.

Bit on the 60" Samsung plasma. Only real negatives that come up in reviews are 1) lack of HDMI inputs (which doesn't matter to me), and 2) buzzing noise from the panel at closer viewing positions (which doesn't bother me since I suffer from some high-frequency hearing loss anyway).