DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Plasma TV advice

Old 11-27-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Plasma TV advice

I am thinking of getting a plasma tv to replace my 46" Sony RPTV. There are 2 that I am torn between and I can't decide. One is the Samsung 51" PN5300 for $529 or the Panasonic TCP50S60 for $599. This tv will be in a basement with lighting behind the tv so glare isnt really a problem. They are both highly rated with similar perfomance with the Sammy having slightly better colors. One thing that may decide it is the input lag for gaming. My son plays a lot of COD mulitplayer and the Panny supposedly has a better lag time than the Sammy. Panny has 34ms while Sammy is 47 ms using the PC trick. However is it $70 better?

Anybody have expericence with either of these? I looked online at various reviews and they seem split.
Old 11-27-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Plasma TV advice

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I am thinking of getting a plasma tv to replace my 46" Sony RPTV. There are 2 that I am torn between and I can't decide. One is the Samsung 51" PN5300 for $529 or the Panasonic TCP50S60 for $599. This tv will be in a basement with lighting behind the tv so glare isnt really a problem. They are both highly rated with similar perfomance with the Sammy having slightly better colors. One thing that may decide it is the input lag for gaming. My son plays a lot of COD mulitplayer and the Panny supposedly has a better lag time than the Sammy. Panny has 34ms while Sammy is 47 ms using the PC trick. However is it $70 better?

Anybody have expericence with either of these? I looked online at various reviews and they seem split.
Panasonic. When Pioneer threw in the towel in the plasma business Panasonic took over the title.
Old 11-29-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the reply!
Old 11-30-13, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been using plasmas TVs (I love them) for over ten years now and Pannys give you the best bang for the buck.

With that said...

Be aware that as the brightness of plasmas has increased over the years, the instances of image retention have also increased. Excessive gaming "might" cause a problem if certain precautions are not taken. Make sure you're in a "movie" or "gaming" mode and not in the "normal" mode. Also, run the anti-image retention scroll bar from time to time.

Samsung as well as Pannys can suffer from image retention if you're not careful.
Old 12-02-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, Panasonic for a plasma.

Franchot's right, but all you have to do is start the tv with the brightness turned down a bit, and turn it up gradually as you use your tv over a few months and retention won't be a problem.
Old 12-02-13, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought Panasonic Plasma S60 few months ago. Great picture quality. Best band for buck. would highly recommend it. btw I also have Panasonic plasma 42 inch in the bedroom for past few years - happy with it.

It has about 5 different picture "brightness" modes. ( of course you can tweak them ) the regular default mode is a little dimmer - I use that for regular TV watching to break TV in. But change to home theater mode ( brighter ) when watching movies.

Go for Panasonic.
Old 12-02-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-02-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't bother with those optional viewing modes. My Plasma is set on normal and then I calibrated using one of those calibration tools that you can buy.

Game mode, movie mode, etc., they're a waste and does not represent optimal viewing quality - might as well be default factory settings, imo.
Old 12-03-13, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Personally, I wouldn't bother with those optional viewing modes. My Plasma is set on normal and then I calibrated using one of those calibration tools that you can buy.

Game mode, movie mode, etc., they're a waste and does not represent optimal viewing quality - might as well be default factory settings, imo.
I agree that it's best to calibrate your TV from the normal, pro, or THX mode with a calibration disc for movie/TV viewing. The built-in modes won't give you the maximum capabilities of your set. Calibrating for your individual home environment will accomplish that.

My son plays a lot of COD mulitplayer...
As Unclejosh seems to be new to the world of plasma TVs, I'm merely suggesting that his son might want to play games in the "game" mode or some mode that puts out less light. Playing games with static images and static icons on the screen for long periods of time in "torch" mode can leave you with some nasty image retention.

Engaging the image shifter will also lessen the possibility of image retention from excessive gaming.
Old 12-04-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I just bought a Panasonic S60. I'm totally happy with the purchase.

The stock of Panasonic plasmas is dwindling as production is stopping soon.
Old 12-04-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The stock of Panasonic plasmas is dwindling as production is stopping soon.
Really? I hadn't heard about that. Kinda' bums me out as if I was going to get another TV, it would most definitely be another Panny plasma. The combo of the deeper blacks and no motion-blur make it the better choice for me.
Old 12-04-13, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Really? I hadn't heard about that. Kinda' bums me out as if I was going to get another TV, it would most definitely be another Panny plasma. The combo of the deeper blacks and no motion-blur make it the better choice for me.
Yes. Sadly, Panasonic is stopping production of its plasma line. And this year's plasmas are the best they've ever produced.

The good news is that Panasonic (partnered with Sony) is entering the OLED field. OLED TVs will offer better picture quality than plasmas. The bad news is that the prices of these TVs will be quite high for awhile.
Old 12-04-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
There's another thread about it:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...-business.html