Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

That whole "Super Bowl Time is the best time to buy a tv" mantra...any truth?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was gonna buy an hdtv back in December, but the job situation got a little shaky so I decided to hold off on any larger purchases. I've obviously been saving, and feel more comfortable with my job and overall finances so I'm goin ahead and puttin myself back in the market again. I've heard for years (while I was not in the market haha) about how Super Bowl time (not sure if before or after, or either) is the best time to buy a new tv, because the old models are cleared out to make room for the new models rolling in.

Is this just a talking point by people only tech-savvy enough to write articles for people on the internet who aren't tech-savvy? Or is it a truthism mostly across the board? My main concern would be that if there is truth behind it, would the kinds of models that I'd want already be too low-stocked and sell out too quickly and I'd be stuck settling with either something I don't really want or paying more for a brand new model with new features that I don't care about...or not really any new features, aside from a much higher pricetag--haven't really heard about any newcoming tech features for tvs.

By the way, if anybody can offer any specific advice about that...I'm mostly interested in either a 50"-ish 1080p plasma (Panasonic or Samsung) or a 1080p 120 or 240 hz (don't care which) 46" 1080p LED if the price and specs (mainly contrast) are right. I guess it comes down to which I think is the best cost:benefit ratio of what I think is the best unit for the price and that looks better (if I can see them in-store, though I probably plan to buy online, for the sake of the price). So long as it's also not 3D. I want nothing to do with 3D. Wi-fi and internet apps I don't give a shit about, just so long as they don't drive the price up much cuz I'd probably never use them.

Thanks for any help and advice anybody may have.
Old 01-11-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: That whole "Super Bowl Time is the best time to buy a tv" mantra...any truth?

"That whole "Super Bowl Time is the best time to buy a tv" mantra...any truth?"
Not since Amazon started selling TVs. I believe most model year-ends happen in early fall for the entire holiday season. But Amazon has older ones for ages, anyway. And their prices change daily, so just put a watch on something if you have the time and patience.

Costco in my area is selling a 50" Panny for $699, I think, or close. Probably an S or ST model. Basically the same price as Amazon has for the 42". Also, don't avoid 3D just because you don't like it. Pretty much all TVs are starting to have it, so you won't be able to avoid it forever. Although you can still usually save a bit with an older non-3D model, so shopping around is worthwhile.
Old 01-12-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: That whole "Super Bowl Time is the best time to buy a tv" mantra...any truth?

I pretty much agree. There are great deals on TV's throughout the year.

What you might get, if you buy local (or even if you buy on-line) is rush delivery and/or help with hook up so you are ready for the big day.
Old 01-12-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Costco in my area is selling a 50" Panny for $699, I think, or close. Probably an S or ST model. Basically the same price as Amazon has for the 42".
$629 at my costco..saw it last night.
Old 01-29-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

My Costco has a 50" 720p Panny Plasma for $599. It may be the one we are all talking about. I didn't check model. That is getting to be a really good deal for a B&M walk out the door (well + tax) price. It really wasn't that long ago that, that was a $2,000 TV and worth it!

I know if my living room TV went out today, I'd be hard pressed to not just go get that and be done with it. And yes, I do have BD and HD DVD in my living room.
Old 01-29-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ones I've seen were definitely the 1080 S series, for $629. They seem to have dropped Panny other than this last model. Not happy, although it will probably be awhile before I bother changing the flatscreen. My house is in a strange place right now.