Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

16:9, Pan Scan, 4:3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-00, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a computer, you can "Size" the DVD output to just about anything. On a 4:3 TV, 16:9 is very wasteful, yet the 4:3 full screen cuts out much information. I would like to have a size in between this, which can be done on a computer.
The question is: Can hardware DVD players do this?
Thanks!
Old 10-02-00, 07:31 PM

I assume when you say 16:9 you are talking about a widescreen version of the film, 16:9 and the ratio of the film are really 2 different things.

But if my assumption is right, how is it "wasteful" when you get to see the whole film as opposed to a crappy Pan & Scan? I would not and I know others would not be happy with a compromise, like something in between P&S and widescreen.

Now if I'm completely misreading what you are asking I apologize. Just my 2 cents.

And to try to answer your question, some DVD players have a zoom function which will do what I think you want to do.

------------------
My DVD list

MY Setup

[This message has been edited by BlondeGuy (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old 10-02-00, 10:14 PM

A 4:3 Television has a fixed number of vertical lines. When the picture is long and thin (16:9 fitting into the 4:3) data is lost in the resolution. However, if the 16:9 is cropped to the 4:3, too much information is lost. I am quite happy with something in between.
If I had the money, I would get the 16:9 TV, but this is not the case, so I must settle for the 4:3!
Does the zoom feature distort the image (besides cropping)?
Old 10-02-00, 10:56 PM

The zoom feature will crop off some of the sides of the picture and wont be the best quality, or you can get a Sony Wega TV that will do the anamorphic squeeze so you get the full resolution or if you know how to go into your tv's service menu you can do the "squeeze" manually.
Old 10-03-00, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still not sure exactly what you mean? Do you mean you don't like letterboxing? Or do you have your dvd player set to 16x9 & think the picture's distorted (because it is, you should only set it to that if you have a 16x9 tv, otherwise you should set it to 4x3 letterbox). The zoom mode will make it grainier & unless the movie's 2:35:1, you're going to lose a good deal off the sides & top. My tv has a middle mode that stretches the picture slightly & cuts some off the top & bottom (a blend of the anamorphic mode & artificial wide mode used for non-anamorphic), but it's a 16x9 HDTV. I don't think there's a way to do what you want (although I'm not sure what that is?). Do you want all your movies to be around 1:66:1 or something?
Old 10-04-00, 12:44 AM

What I am looking for shouldnt bee too difficult to imagine: I would like a zoomed view of a 16:9 film. This zoomed view properly pan scans to center in on the proper place. I want it zoomed zuch that I still have black bars, but the picture is larger that 16:9 heighth wise. There should be no stretching of the picture. Is what I describe possible without pixelization?
Old 10-05-00, 12:52 PM
Banned

Doh!!!!!!

------------------
Even my plastic is starting to bounce!
Anamorphic Transfer

[This message has been edited by SingleServingPost (edited October 05, 2000).]