Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Expanding from 5.1 to 7.1 - Need Speaker Help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help. I recently splurged and bought a brand new receiver. The new receiver is 7.1 and the old receiver was 5.1. Now, while a complete speaker upgrade is in the plans for the future it will be a while before i can afford it. So for the time being I need 2 more speakers.

The speakers I currently have (from my 5.1) are Sony SS-MSP2 for the L,R, and Surround Channels, and Sony SS-CNP2 for the Center Channel.

I am looking at going one of two routes on this:

1. Buy a couple of floor standing speakers for the L and R channels that will eventually become part of my speaker overhaul

or

2. Buy a couple of bookshelf speakers to become part of my current system and then overhaul everything a year or so down the road.

So here is where I need help. I need affordable speaker options for both option 1 and 2. Also if anyone has a different option I haven't though of, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-30-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Expanding from 5.1 to 7.1 - Need Speaker Help

i would say if your going cheap then bookshelf speakers are your best option.
Old 03-30-11, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
i would say if your going cheap then bookshelf speakers are your best option.
Thanks. Any suggestions for a good deal?
Old 03-30-11, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Would help if you gave a price range that would work best for you. Over the years, I've come to learn from here, friends, and myself speaker purchasing is extremely subjective, it just depends on what sounds good to your ears. Go to somewhere like Best Buy and test drive a few pairs. If you intend on doing an overhaul sometime down the road, it would probably make more sense to buy something you know will stay in your speaker set instead of spending money on something you may replace within a year, so I'd back you on option 1 - new floor standing speakers and rotate your current ones to your back surrounds.

Good luck! I had a decent budget when I did this a few years ago - and blew it by a couple thousand.
Old 03-30-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joethepilot
So for the time being I need 2 more speakers.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 03-31-11, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by joethepilot
Thanks. Any suggestions for a good deal?
no sorry i dont really keep up on speakers. you should give a price range though. you say cheap and when i hear that i think $200 a pair. thats why i said bookshelf. i would buy a pair that you like now and would be willing to buy more of the same when you upgrade. if you want floor standing for the fronts then look at the ones you like that you would be willing to upgrade to in the future. then buy a matching pair of the surrounds for now. then maybe every few months you can slowly upgrade.
Old 03-31-11, 09:02 AM

I would tell you to start researching and listening to different speaker brands. But don't buy anything now. Just wait until you are able to do the overhaul. 7.1 vs. 5.1 is not going to change your HT experience dramatically.

If you are dead set on getting something now, I have seen some recent deals for the Energy CF-30s, which are floor standing, for around 130 each. I have also seen deals for Energy's bookshelf CB-5s. You should definitely only buy from a brand that you would buy more of to match in the future.
Old 03-31-11, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by taa455
I would tell you to start researching and listening to different speaker brands. But don't buy anything now. Just wait until you are able to do the overhaul. 7.1 vs. 5.1 is not going to change your HT experience dramatically.

If you are dead set on getting something now, I have seen some recent deals for the Energy CF-30s, which are floor standing, for around 130 each. I have also seen deals for Energy's bookshelf CB-5s. You should definitely only buy from a brand that you would buy more of to match in the future.
I would have to agree with Taa here (in the bold). If I was in your shoes I would go out and audition as many speakers as you can and find out what sounds good to you(everyone is different). Once you do that you can start to research prices and what other speakers may fall in your preference. While doing that, just save as much as you can. Once you have it down to what you want you will have some $ saved up and set a budget. I would then buy it in pieces. I am assuming since your looking to go from 5.1 to 7.1 this is mainly for HT? If so I would buy your Mains,Sub and then Center(in that order). Sub is crucial for HT and you will get alot more for your $ with an ID one.