Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a BD player under $100..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to help a friend find a BD player under $100 that has built-in wifi and netflix support. He was looking at the one that Best Buy will have for $90 on Black Friday (which is the model I have), but he doesn't think he will be able to make it out on Black Friday morning.

I've been looking on Amazon and haven't found anything, so I turn you guys for help.... So any recommendations?
Old 11-22-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Looking for a BD player under $100..

Pretty tough to get WiFi at a $100. I'm guessing there will be some BF deals (I didn't know about the BB deal). But I'm convinced this is the year of the Blue Ray. I just ordered LOR from Amazon for $8.00 ea in BD with free shipping. And I'm considering another order.

I bet if your patient you will be able to get close to that up till Christmas.
Old 11-23-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck with that, last time I priced the Samsung player, the Samsung adapter was $80.00 for just that part.
Old 11-23-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yea I know, the price for the adapters is ridiculous! Oh well, I guess he will just have to make it out to Best Buy for the Insignia BD player.
Old 11-23-10, 08:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm also looking for the same thing to give as Christmas presents. Right now I see that Wal-Mart will have a Magnavox MBP-5120 for $69.99. Best buy will have the Toshiba BDX1100 for $59.99. And Amazon already has the LG BD530 and the same Toshiba BDX1100 both for $79.99. Can anyone shed some light on any of these? Just wondering if it's worth it to go jogging out at 5 am to save $10-20.
Old 11-23-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Just wondering if it's worth it to go jogging out at 5 am to save $10-20.
No, it's not. Bring a bag lunch 3 times to save $10-20 instead.

Tiger Direct has a Samsung wifi BD-C6500 for $150 this week, that's the best price I've seen so far on a new wifi model. (built-in wifi)
Old 11-23-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my .02 but given the finicky nature of hdmi, the state of blu ray interactivity and the differences in discs, I am not so sure I would be eager to buy a cheap or no name brand player. Will some of these cheap players even have firmware updates and will they even be able to be applied?
Old 11-23-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Just my .02 but given the finicky nature of hdmi, the state of blu ray interactivity and the differences in discs, I am not so sure I would be eager to buy a cheap or no name brand player. Will some of these cheap players even have firmware updates and will they even be able to be applied?
Great point. I have mentioned before one of the features to look for in a BD player is easy of FW upgrades!!

Typically a net enabled BD player will have easy access, but you don't know how often the maker will update.

One reason I continue to use and LOVE my PS3 is how often and easy the upgrades come. I was an early adopter (and still don't get everything out of the PS3 it has to offer). When I first got and hooked it up, I almost returned it. Slow, not playing all disc or all features. But within a week or two there was a FW update that improved to the point of "this is nice". Now, several years later, it is seemless and works fantastic.
Old 11-27-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was in BB tonight just looking around waisting some time before I had to pick up kid. They still had stacks and stacks of that WiFi Insignia of theirs for $89.99.

I don't know how good it is, but seems to get reasonable reviews. And the only Wifi enabled unit under a $100 I've seen. Heck, I might grab one for living room. Tho so close to the office, I could punch a hole in the wall for wired....