Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Connecting Wirelessly to Sony BDP-BX37?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any way to connect to the internet with a Sony BDP-BX37 WITHOUT paying $80 for this:

http://base.google.com/base/a/618774...20613346729083

Like a different type of LAN adapter or wireless card that doesn't cost as much? I tried using a WI-FI card I had bought years ago for my Wii that worked on my Wii and my laptop great, but the player says it doesn't recognize it.
Old 05-30-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Connecting Wirelessly to Sony BDP-BX37?

So, distance must be an issue. How about this?
Old 05-30-10, 06:16 PM

It's not a huge issue, I just bought an ethernet cable extender from eBay (for a whole 55 cents) but I was just looking into options of wireless, or is that the ONLY way to do it on that player?
Old 05-30-10, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I am trying to work on the same idea for my bluray player but I can't confirm the viability of it until later on this week when I get the usb dongle I ordered.

Basically the idea is that the UWA-BR100 dongle has the Atheros AR9280 chipset in it; in theory, all you have to do is find another dongle that uses that same chipset. But you still run the risk of having to pay the same if it's a new chipset or a rarely-used one. Apparently the XBOX 360 N adapter has the same chipset but it won't work in anything but a 360 because of the microcomputer on the adapter itself.

Let me look a bit to see if I can find a cheap dongle with that chipset and then you can either wait to see if I can duplicate the theory on mine, which would determine whether the whole point is moot, or you can get the official Sony one.
Old 05-30-10, 07:29 PM

Thanks. I might just buy that 100 ft ethernet cable, because I could run that behind my desk and entertainment center. The thing was I didn't want cables out in the open, but I already do that with the speaker cables just have them under a small rug by the hallway, which I could do the same with the ethernet cable. I'll wait and see what you have to say.
Old 05-30-10, 07:49 PM

Cool; it won't take me long once I get it to figure it out and will post with the results as soon as I'm done.

Just as a trial, if you have or can borrow one of these USB N dongles, it might work:

* D-Link - DWA 160A1
* D-Link - DWA 160A2
* IO-Data - WNGDNUS2
* Netgear - WNDA3100 (Not the v2 model)
* Netgear - WN111 v2
Old 06-04-10, 06:19 PM

Got the wireless adapter for my Insignia player and it didn't work; opened up the adapter and found out the chipset shares the same core as the official one except it's missing the internal amplifier which would be reflected in the player's firmware.

If I had an exact replacement, I'm certain it would work but the official adapter uses a rare chipset.

The Monkees, looking at what I could find on the UWA-BR100, it looks like you might be able to use an XBOX 360 Wireless N adapter for it. If you know someone who has one, you could try that out. It seems as though the only combination of chips that will work is the AR7010 and the AR9280 both of which are on the XBOX 360 adapter. It is also like the UWA-BR100 as it cannot work on a computer.

Because it's a fairly new device, there aren't any other adapters with that combination, at least readily available ones.
Old 06-05-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wire: good.
No wire: crapshoot of hell.

IME
Old 06-05-10, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca
The Monkees, looking at what I could find on the UWA-BR100, it looks like you might be able to use an XBOX 360 Wireless N adapter for it. If you know someone who has one, you could try that out. It seems as though the only combination of chips that will work is the AR7010 and the AR9280 both of which are on the XBOX 360 adapter. It is also like the UWA-BR100 as it cannot work on a computer.
No go on the XBOX 360 Wireless, I tried mind and it didn't work. Oh, well, I guess the only way to do it wirelessly is to do it with THAT one and I'm not pay $80 for it. I got an ethernet cable extender coming in the mail, either I'll use that or buy the 100 foot cable you suggested. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-05-10, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
No go on the XBOX 360 Wireless, I tried mind and it didn't work. Oh, well, I guess the only way to do it wirelessly is to do it with THAT one and I'm not pay $80 for it. I got an ethernet cable extender coming in the mail, either I'll use that or buy the 100 foot cable you suggested. Thanks for the info!
Aw, that sucks! I just figured out on mine that the blu-ray player's firmware actually limits usable wireless devices based on a vendor id/product id combination. I think that might be what's happening with your player as well.

Yeah, I agree that the price is way too much and apparently it's on backorder from Sony anyway. Sorry that I couldn't help you further on this.
Old 06-05-10, 07:55 PM

I saw a few at Best Buy the other day, but again, no way I'm paying $80 for it.
Old 11-28-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I googled a wireless option for this player (just got this on BF from Sam's Club). I also do not want to pay $80 for it. I'm deciding to either return it or deal with having an extra cable running through the house.