Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony STR-DB930 Level/Equalizer Settings?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony STR-DB930 Level/Equalizer Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-00, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased a Sony STR-DB930 Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver and I am unsure what to put the center, rear, and subwoofer level and equalizer settings at. I own the Klipsch Reference Series with a KSW-12 Sub. I also own a Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player. Right now I have the level settings as follows:

Rear: +6
Center: +10 (Should anything be +10?)
Subwoofer: +1 (Too low?)

So what should my settings be at? How do I go about figuring out what they should be at?

Old 08-23-00, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop!...Are you trying to set the +/- db(decible=loudness) for your center and rear channel???
pop a DD5.1 movie(preferably with a lot of action) in and listen to all your speakers. if your rear doesn't sound loud enough, then slowly increase your rear db level one decibel at a time until you satisfy with the loudness of your rear speakers. Do the same for your center...Or, you can use that test tone feature on your receiver.

center +10, rear +6...What the ....???

[This message has been edited by DVDAnimation (edited August 23, 2000).]
Old 08-23-00, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First thing first: set your center, rear left and right speakers back to 0 dB on the settings.

Then you need to use the test tones (sounds like harsh hissing noise) from the receiver (there's a button underneath the flip-lid of the remote control), and a SPL meter (can get them from Radio Shack - or borrow one from a friend). From the best seat in the house, hold the SPL meter near ear level so that the meter can measure the SPL where the sounds needs to sound the best. You can also use a tripod for the SPL meter if you're alone, or have another person hold the meter where you make adjustments.

Calibrate the SPL levels of the speakers by setting the main volume so that your SPL meter reads 75 dB for the front left, and then again for the front right. As the test tones move from your front left to the front center to the front right to the rear right and finally the rear left, you should check and see if the SPL level for each speaker is consistent to 75 dB.

If they are not anywhere near 75 dB, make note of what dB levels each speaker produces
and raise or lower the dB levels to get them to 75 dB/speaker. So if your center speaker SPL measures 70 dB, then add +5 dB for the center channel speaker. If it's 65 dB, then you need a new more efficient center channel speaker. Do this for the rear speakers too. Once every speaker's SPL shows up as 75 dB, then you have calibrated your home theater setup for the most consistent audio you can get given the equipment you have.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs