DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Your Thoughts On Panasonic HT Equipment?

Old 08-18-00, 02:09 PM
Cool New Member

My bedroom stereo recently died (circa 1980ís model), and Iím thinking about getting an inexpensive home theater system to replace it. Our main home theater viewing will still be done in the family room on a Denon system with a Pioneer big screen, so Iím not looking to spend too much money.

The bedroom system would use my existing 27Ē Sony TV (only coax and RCA jack inputs, no S-Video). Our bed has a large headboard with open shelving, so I plan to just place the rear surrounds in those shelves since the bed will be the viewing position.

I have researched some of the less expensive systems, and Iím kind of focusing on the Panasonic SC-HT280 receiver/speaker package and the Panasonic DVD-RV30 DVD player. So far the best price I have found for both pieces is around $620 delivered from earthstations.com.

I welcome any and all input on this venture. What are your thoughts on my equipment choices? The reliability of Panasonic? Has anyone dealt with earthstations.com before? Is there a way to get a better deal on this equipment (coupons, ******, etc.)?

Thanks, I appreciate your help!
Old 08-18-00, 03:25 PM

I don't know the quality of it, but Panasonic makes an all-in-one HT package that includes a DVD player/receiver and all the speakers. I believe it sells for $599 or $699 (not sure, sorry) but I have heard good things about it. The only thing I can tell you is that I own a Panasonic DVD player and have had no problems with it. Good luck!!
Old 08-18-00, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You might want to try the all in one receiver/DVD/speaker package from Sony that sells for about $600. I don'y remember the model number. It looks pretty nice and although I would not buy it for a primary setup as a secondary setup it is pretty good. Maybe someone else here can refresh my memory regarding the model #.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-19-00, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may want to make sure the speakers you choose are Acoustic Suspension or front ported. If you get a rear ported speaker package since they are in the headboard the port would face the wall possibly distorting the sound or producing boomy bass response.

As far as Panasonic I have had good results. I've had their 5 disc DVD changer for 6 months and have had no problems. I also have a 4 year old Technics(sister company to Panasonic) DPL receiver that is still runnng strong as my computer amp.

If you like the sound quality and price of the Panasonic give it a try.