Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Digital dvd and DD receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dolby Digital dvd and DD receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-00, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is probably a dumb question,but here goes: My Sony dvd player has a Dolby Digital
decoder already built in. So,I wouldn't have
to buy a new receiver that ALSO has the built
in Dolby Digital decoder,right? I could just
buy a receiver that is Dolby Digital READY,correct?
Old 08-03-00, 07:53 PM

If the dvd has the DD decoder, then get a DD READY reciever.
Old 08-03-00, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
I would never buy a DD ready receiver, I'm not positive on this one, but I think you can use the DD decoder for your DVD player to get the 5.1 sound, but, DD/DTS receivers are down to the $200 range and compared to what you'll get for a DD ready reciever you are better off with a DD capable receiver.

I also have heard that the DD decoders that are built into DVD players are not very good even in comparison to the decoders in cheaper brand name receivers. Spend the money and be happy.
Old 08-03-00, 11:29 PM
Cool New Member

You need a receiver with analog 5.1 inputs.

I chose not to get a DD ready receiver to go along with my JVC 701. I assume DVD players have a much shorter life than receivers so when my player breaks I would be out both the player and the DD 5.1 decoder. I would always have to consider players with built-in AC-3 decoders as a replacement. Also with a DD capable receiver you only have to worry about one nice quality audio connection, with a DD ready receiver you need six.
Old 08-04-00, 08:32 PM
AW

I would still buy a DD (not DD ready) receiver. That way you will have additional inputs for other DD sources.
Old 08-05-00, 01:52 AM
Cool New Member

You are not saving any money by buying a digital ready receiver. For $235.00 you can buy a digital decoder and dts receiver.
Old 08-05-00, 11:44 AM

Like everyone suggests, buying a receiver without built in DD decoding is not reccomended unless you are using this system as a second/bedroom system.

I have a toshiba 3109 with built in decoder that I use in my bedroom. I use the built in decoder and can honestly say that for basic DD decoding it's pretty good.

The biggest problem with most dvd DD decoders is the bass management. The crossover is usually high, on mine it's at 120 Hz. It just happens to work well with the speakers in my bedroom, but I would rather have a lower crossover if it was in my living room. Another note is that the decoder seems to limit the sub output significantly, most likely to prevent distortion. On the "cheap" speakers in my bedroom, this is a good thing. On a main system in a living room, this could be a limiting factor.
Old 08-05-00, 05:16 PM

Well,everyone seems to think that I should spring for a receiver that has the Dolby Digital decoder already built in. One final
dumb question:since my dvd player has the built in DD decoder already,and if I buy a
receiver that also has a built in DD decoder,the sound won't be affected or anything,by having two decoders,right?
Old 08-05-00, 07:32 PM

No, you can only use one decoder at a time. The dvd player would pass it's DD decoded signal thru 6 rca outputs (left/right front, left/right surr., center and sub).

To use the DD decoder in a receiver you have to use a digital cable, either optical or coaxial. The manual on the receiver should give you the specifics on how to hook everything up.
Old 08-05-00, 07:35 PM

One last thing, if you're going to buy a receiver, go ahead and get one with DTS built in. It may costs a little more, but if you don't have it you may wish you spent the extra money later on. You can find budget models for around $200 everywhere.