Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please Help..have all components but a problem....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please Help..have all components but a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-00, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I just picked up my sub, and rears plus my channel...now i have a compelte KLH system with L/R, center, subs and rears. Here is my problem..

I have a prologic receiver..from what ive read I can still have sound out of all channels even if they are like combined in the rears or something...anyway..i have a prologic button on my receiver and it only has sound out of my L/R and sub...i also have a 3rd chan logic button and it has sound otu of center and sub and R/L.

How do I get the sound otu of the L/R and sub adn center and sub? my center is connectd directly to back of recevier but the L/R and connected to back of sub then the sub is connected to the spot where the L/R would normally be connected in the back of sub..its how they told me to do it in the subs instructions..anyway...how do i get the sound out of all even if its not true independent channels...?

Thanx

------------------
Duck
Old 08-05-00, 11:36 AM

If your left and right speakers are going thru the crossover in your sub, then the sub will work whenever there is bass being sent to those speakers. So anytime the L and R speakers are working the sub will be working.

As for the others, you may want to check in the setup options that the sound levels of those speakers are turned up. If the center is working in 3channel mode then there is no reason why it shouldn't be working in pro-logic. (3 logic is prologic without rear speakers.)

Make sure the rear channels are connected properly (if wires are crossed then the receiver may not go into prologic to protect itself). Use the receivers own test tone and crank up the levels in the setup option.
Old 08-05-00, 02:07 PM
Banned

Check to see what "ProLogic" mode you are in. You may be in 3 channel mode or your rear levels are turned down.
Old 08-05-00, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Daledude, DPS..thax for the responces...im looking but dont see any way to check the volume of the rears or center on the receiver..(pioneer VSX-455) but ill keep looking..havetn checked the remote yet, havetn unpacked it..that could be it..thanx guys...

------------------
Duck
Old 08-05-00, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Duh..my remote has all the functions..i totally forgot because up till now i was never able to use those buttons..okay now my center mode has three settings..normal, phantom, and wide..if i have essentially 5.1 surround with prologic..which one should I have it set on?

------------------
Duck
Old 08-05-00, 05:04 PM

normal...unless your speakers can handle high volume, then set it to wide
Old 08-05-00, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, my speakres can handle high volume but when i have it on phantom and normal its really when i have it on wide it sounds cool when to volume is waaay up...it almost sounds like the bass is coming out of the R/L and nto the sub...who knows..but it soudns better now..at least the sound is coming out of all speakres..thanx guys..

------------------
Duck
Old 08-05-00, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I have it set to wide..the volume has to be turned up a lot more, but it sounds good. Question..

I found on a site talking about sub hooke up..it mentions direct to the receiver and then The second way to wire a sub woofer is to run the outputs from the two front speakers to the sub woofer and then out to the left and right speakers..it reccommends the first way..but my manual with the sub saids the second way so that is how I did it...

------------------
Duck
Old 08-05-00, 07:28 PM

For the sub it's important for the bass signals to be properly handled.

If the receiver has a sub output, then it has it's own internal crossover (sends the bass to the sub and filters the highs out). The sub is producing bass and the main speakers are running full range.

If the sub manual says to run the speaker outputs thru the sub, then the you are using the crossover in the sub. The main speakers are not reproducing bass, only the sub.

You mention that the bass sounds like it is coming from the main speakers. That is exactly how you want it to sound. You can experiment with other wiring options if you want, but from what you describe you've done a good job of integrating the sub in your system.

For the center channel, phantom mode sends the sound to the l/r mains to form a "phantom" center channel (center of stereo image). Wide mode sends a full bandwidth signal to the center, unless you have a center channel speaker that can play low this is not the best option. Normal uses a crossover so that the bass is sent to the front l/r speakers, in your case also to your sub. You mention you like the wide sound mode, but you should also try the normal mode for a few movies and see which sounds better.
Old 08-05-00, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dale..thanx for the input..i will try both and see which is better...so even though my receiver does have a sub input, stick with the setup i have of it now of running the speaker outpus through the sub..thanx for the help..

------------------
Duck