Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Plasma Display - Screen Reflection?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-08-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just purchased and brought home a Panasonic TCP-42X1 this past Monday. It is my first plasma display.

While watching Volckman's Rennaisance last night, which depicts high contrast black and white animated imagery with yellow subtitles, I noticed something alarming, but I'm not 100% I should be concerned. There is a reflection from the anti-glare screen on most of the imagery when there is a high level of contrast difference between foreground and background. The yellow subtitles constantly create this reflection. This reflection is not caused by lighting in front of the display, rather it is the image projected from the display itself that is reflecting within the screen. And to be clear, I first noticed this while sitting 3' away at about a 45 degree angle.

So I began looking at other material from different degrees off axis and distances, including SD cable broadcasts and sure enough, the high contrast logos and scroll bars also produce this reflection (Halo effect).

Is this something that is common with plasma tvs, or possibly just this particular model? ...something that I just need to get used to or be wary of when watching material off axis?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-10, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Plasma Display - Screen Reflection?

If I get right up on mine, I see it too. But the only time I'm less than 3' away from the screen is when walking to the bathroom.
Old 01-08-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same model as you, visitor Q, and I've noticed the same thing. I just figured it was normal since plasma screens are glass.
Old 01-09-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 42" is meant to be viewed from at least twice that distance. If you are observant, you may also be able to discern pixels at 3'. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the TV, just your position.

If I get that close to my screen, my head blocks a chunk of the picture, since I have a projector. I also can't see the whole screen without turning my head back and forth. Is that the projector's fault?

Also, avoid this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xUhOdzwLtw
Old 01-09-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spiky, I don't watch programming from a 3' distance (unless I'm at my computer desk). 98% of my viewing is straight on from 7'. I only referenced that distance because it was from there when I noticed the reflection. It's the other areas of the viewing room which are closer and to the side that I am concerned about.