Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why cables from Radio Shack...?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why cables from Radio Shack...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-00, 02:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just think it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money on cables. Some people here probably have cables that cost more than my entire system. I use low end monster cable and radio shack cable. I couldn't tell any difference in sound, but the monster video cable did make a little difference. Then again I don't have a "high-end system" The most expensive part was the receiver for around $325. But I'm not an audio or videophile, and it suits me just fine. I only make recommendations to people who are new to home theater and who say they are on a short budget. I don't bother making recommendations to people who appear to be home theater buffs, b/c I really don't know anything about high-end equipment and couldn' care less.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 07-23-00, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Josh. I personally believe cables and wires make a big difference, but only if you have the equipment and the ears to take advantage of them. Just buy whatever makes you happy.

If you can't tell the difference between $20 Radio Shack interconnects and $200 fancy stuff, then buy the Radio Shack stuff.

Bottom line - buy whatever you and your wallet are happy with. If you aren't satisfied with Radio Shack stuff, spend more. If you think other people are wasting their money, no reason to criticize them for spending their own money. That is all.
Old 07-23-00, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I can tell the difference between radio-shack and quality cables, and this is only with a 20" composite video-in TV. Wire is wire, but connectors are very different. Usually the connector will really have a huge impact in how good a wire will perform, and this is where the Radio Shack cables have failed for me. They just don't grip the connector good enough, and produce very slight ghosting. Usually I can substitute another cheap cable and it will look better.

Another time I have noticed Radio Shack's poor cable performance was when I bought a guitar-cable (you know, the one with the big connectors) to run between the amp and distortion box. Just to see, I compared the 5$ Radio Shack cable with the 15$ music store guitar cable. Not only was the music store cable's interconnects much better, the wire was higher quality. The Radio Shack muddled the tone of the guitar, and it had a very thin and weak sound. Plugging the 15$ music store cable in made it sound lush and full again.

So, just because Radio Shack's cables are a steal, I'd think twice if you can spend a little bit more. If you are getting S-video, or component cables for a large-screen TV, I'd definetely invest in slightly better cables.