Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Basic TV sound through stereo cable connection question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new(er) Sony receiver (DA2400ES) and a Phillips Plasma (42PF7321D/37) and I can't get TV sound through the receiver/speakers. I have a BD player hooked up via HDMI to the receiver and it sounds great and the receiver hooked up to the TV and the picture for movies is great. From what I understand though the HDMI signal is only one way and so I need a separate connection from the TV to the receiver to hear TV shows through the receiver (cable is connected directly to TV-we don't have a cable box).

The TV doesn't have another HDMI connection, I've tried the RCAs, optical etc., but can't seem to figure it out! I'm sure it's something basic I'm missing but am completely stumped.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!
Old 11-22-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Basic TV sound through stereo cable connection question

I don't know on your particular set but in general, you might look for;

Audio out on the TV
Settings within the menu. It is possible that by default any audio out is switched off in the menu.

I'm about to do similar for my folks who finally got an HD TV and are using OTA only (no cable or dish). Without talking to me they bought a HTiB and want me to hook it up. I'm assuming the TV has some sort of audio out on it for just such a thing. I'm just hoping the HTiB has some sort of digit input to use. I question it (haven't seen it yet, as they got one with a built in DVD player...agghhh).
Old 11-22-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at the diagram here,

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/4...37_pss_aen.pdf

Connect the digital audio out to an input on your receiver. Use that input for tv sound
Old 11-22-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses, I finally figured it out.

The only remaining audio out on the TV (since the HDMI was being used for BD) was the digital coax output. I was getting confused because the receiver had digital optical input for TV, but didn't have a coax input for TV-it was labled for somthing else (SACD maybe) but once I tried it I was able to hear the TV through the receiver just having to select the SACD setting. As usual I was making it much more difficult than it really was.

I'm guessing that might be what an HDMI switch is used for-going from one source to another when you only have one HDMI connection available...