Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DirecTV Display Ratio

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV Display Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
DirecTV Display Ratio

I almost put this in the tech forum, but it seemed more of a home theater issue. (If I'm wrong, please relocate this thread.)

I have a DirecTV D11 standard def receiver. I have it connected to a Phillips HDTV that is widescreen. The cable networks that broadcast in widescreen are coming through just fine, but pretty much everything from the local networks are coming in as 4:3. What gives? Is there anything I can do about this?
Old 10-07-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DirecTV Display Ratio

Can't you upgrade for free or almost free? Get an HD receiver, man.

I believe there are embedded codes even in TV signals that set AR and anamorphic. Channels are all over the place on what aspect ratios you can get, even HD channels with an HD receiver, sometimes. You may not be able to get everything perfect.
Old 10-07-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
Can't you upgrade for free or almost free? Get an HD receiver, man.

I believe there are embedded codes even in TV signals that set AR and anamorphic. Channels are all over the place on what aspect ratios you can get, even HD channels with an HD receiver, sometimes. You may not be able to get everything perfect.
I've got two HD-DVRs and one SD receiver and when I tried to see what it would take to upgrade the SD to HD they were absolute bitches. They basically said first there's no way to do it without extending the contract another 18 months, and even with that the lowest fee they would charge is $75.

And this coming from an account that basically purchases every UFC monthly PPV at $55 and subscribes to both NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. I tried to see if all that bought me any kind of discount or contract flexibility and all I got on the other end of the line was basically 'fuck you, we have a lot of people that buy a lot of products.'
Old 10-08-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I've got two HD-DVRs and one SD receiver and when I tried to see what it would take to upgrade the SD to HD they were absolute bitches. They basically said first there's no way to do it without extending the contract another 18 months, and even with that the lowest fee they would charge is $75.

And this coming from an account that basically purchases every UFC monthly PPV at $55 and subscribes to both NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. I tried to see if all that bought me any kind of discount or contract flexibility and all I got on the other end of the line was basically 'fuck you, we have a lot of people that buy a lot of products.'
Even if DirecTV were more accommodating about upgrading, I don't think I'd spend the money to upgrade to HD. I mean, other than baseball, I only really watch two shows regularly (Burn Notice and Psych). I don't care to pay to have shows and channels I don't care about in HD.
Old 10-08-09, 11:48 AM

Anything that is sent in standard definition will be in the 4:3 ratio. Your only choice is if you want to stretch out the picture or not. I hate the way that looks personally, so I rarely watch anything that is in standard def. If you want to take advantage of the widescreen and HD, you should get an off air antenna. That way you can get the locals in HD and take advantage of that tv that you bought.

As for DirecTV, I am a loyal subscriber and have every HD channel that they offer. The picture is truly better than cable. They are a 100% digital signal and you can see it in the quality. I have 3 HD DVR's, 2 HD receivers and 1 regular DVR. My only complaint is that you can't watch a show from another DVR in the house (like AT&T's Uverse). Other than that, I am happy with the service.
Old 10-08-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BASISON
They are a 100% digital signal and you can see it in the quality.
I'm glad you touched on this important point. Cable, for example, only transmits 70% of the HD signal in digital, with the remainder being made up of smoke signals, rotary phone dialing noise, and ground up low-quality meats and cheeses.
Old 10-08-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stevevt
Cable, for example, only transmits 70% of the HD signal in digital, with the remainder being made up of smoke signals, rotary phone dialing noise, and ground up low-quality meats and cheeses.
Well, that certainly explains things then!
Old 10-08-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BravesMG

That's BS. Looks like they're being dicks again. It'll probably change by the end of Nov. For awhile. You have to time these things, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Even if DirecTV were more accommodating about upgrading, I don't think I'd spend the money to upgrade to HD. I mean, other than baseball, I only really watch two shows regularly (Burn Notice and Psych). I don't care to pay to have shows and channels I don't care about in HD.
You are sure paying a lot just for some baseball and 2 shows.

Anything that is sent in standard definition will be in the 4:3 ratio. Your only choice is if you want to stretch out the picture or not. I hate the way that looks personally, so I rarely watch anything that is in standard def. If you want to take advantage of the widescreen and HD, you should get an off air antenna. That way you can get the locals in HD and take advantage of that tv that you bought.
The thing is, some 4:3 channels show up stretched horizontally and some show up pillarboxed. (actually, it can be specific enough to change from one show to the next, and even commercials) And then it is up to your receiver and TV to have the ability to get you what you want for stretching/squeezing/zooming. Which may or may not be possible. And will probably look even worse than SD normally looks unless you have a great scaler.

And I didn't even mention when they do something really stupid, like stretch or squish HD shows. Here's one. I'm watching volleyball in HD right now. One of the graphics they put up is apparently stretched horizontally before getting into the HD stream. So the athletes' pictures look like Stewie. Everything else looks fine.
Old 10-09-09, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
You are sure paying a lot just for some baseball and 2 shows.
I forgot to mention that we do watch The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
Old 10-09-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad you touched on this important point. Cable, for example, only transmits 70% of the HD signal in digital, with the remainder being made up of smoke signals, rotary phone dialing noise, and ground up low-quality meats and cheeses.
I believe he meant that some cable providers, like Comcast, still use analog for a lot of their channels.
Old 10-09-09, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator
I believe he meant that some cable providers, like Comcast, still use analog for a lot of their channels.

That is exactly what I meant. Many of Comcast's channels are transmitted as analog, then upconverted to HD much like an upconverting DVD player. My parents had Comcast for years and when they upgraded to the HD package, the HD-DVR box they got didn't even have an HDMI output! The installer hooked it up to their TV using the component cables. Now the picture is still OK, but it is still not 100% digital. In fact, the local channels come in clearer of their off air antenna. That is why they immediately switched over to satellite.

On top of that, Comcast is on the Top 10 Customer Service Hall of Shame AGAIN. This year they are ranked #3 below Sprint and Bank of America.
Old 10-09-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is exactly what I meant. Many of Comcast's channels are transmitted as analog, then upconverted to HD much like an upconverting DVD player.
This is what I thought you meant. And you were wrong, and still are wrong, assuming you're talking about the actual HD tier channels.

If anything, take what I wrote earlier as me simply having an issue with the idea that "100% digital" is some kind of gold star of quality. Digital can still be compressed as hell, which is generally what I see from my Comcast HD. But saying that the HD channels are transmitted in analog somehow and then converted -- that's just not how that stuff works.
Old 10-12-09, 09:07 AM

This is what I thought you meant. And you were wrong, and still are wrong, assuming you're talking about the actual HD tier channels.

If anything, take what I wrote earlier as me simply having an issue with the idea that "100% digital" is some kind of gold star of quality. Digital can still be compressed as hell, which is generally what I see from my Comcast HD. But saying that the HD channels are transmitted in analog somehow and then converted -- that's just not how that stuff works.
Take it easy Stevie. I know you're Mr. Hall of Fame and everything, but I wasn't trying to insult your precious Comcast. All I was saying is that Comcast is still one of the only providers left that still trasmits an analog signal. Some of those signals are then upconverted to digital and broadcast on the digital HD channels. 100% digital is not the end all be all, but it is still much better than any analog signal that you will receive. Hopefully by the end of the year Comcast will finish transitioning over to be 100% digital so they can compress the hell out of that too.

My brother works for them here in Chicago and even though he can get Comcast for free, he is a Dish subscriber just because he says the picture quality from Comcast sucks. He does however, have the rave about the high-speed internet and the VOIP service.

So I guess YOU are the one that's wrong, and are STILL wrong.
Old 10-12-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Take it easy Stevie. I know you're Mr. Hall of Fame and everything, but I wasn't trying to insult your precious Comcast. All I was saying is that Comcast is still one of the only providers left that still trasmits an analog signal. Some of those signals are then upconverted to digital and broadcast on the digital HD channels. 100% digital is not the end all be all, but it is still much better than any analog signal that you will receive. Hopefully by the end of the year Comcast will finish transitioning over to be 100% digital so they can compress the hell out of that too.

My brother works for them here in Chicago and even though he can get Comcast for free, he is a Dish subscriber just because he says the picture quality from Comcast sucks. He does however, have the rave about the high-speed internet and the VOIP service.

So I guess YOU are the one that's wrong, and are STILL wrong.
Comcast still transmits some of their channels in analog, but all their HD channels are transmitted in digital. To transmit an HD signal in analog would take a huge amount of space.

I will agree that Comcast does indeed, suck.
Old 10-12-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why would you hook up a standard def reciever to an HD TV/ SD stuff on an HD display looks horrible. Definetly upgrade to an HD DVR, then you'll get HD channels (if you purchase them) and your be able to record shows. I haven't watched a single show live since I got a DVR.
Old 10-12-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Why would you hook up a standard def reciever to an HD TV/ SD stuff on an HD display looks horrible. Definetly upgrade to an HD DVR, then you'll get HD channels (if you purchase them) and your be able to record shows. I haven't watched a single show live since I got a DVR.
Why have SD on an HDTV? A little thing called "money." You might not have heard, but it's in short supply for a lot of folks.