Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

could someone tell me how to match preamp/amp with speaker?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

could someone tell me how to match preamp/amp with speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-00, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
preamp http://NADelectronics.com/PreAmp/S100.html

power amp http://NADelectronics.com/Amp/S200.html

speakers http://www.nhthifi.com/nht/nhtspecs/model25iindex.html

by looking solely at the spec,do u think s100/200 combo has too much power for my nht 2.5i to handle?

i would be eternally grateful if u could explain what those specs mean and how to match pre/pro with speakers too.
if u know a site with alof of info on those technical terms and how to setup the seperates ,please post a link.

thanx in advance.

[This message has been edited by tyloh25 (edited July 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tyloh25 (edited July 04, 2000).]
Old 07-04-00, 11:23 PM

I doubt it will be to much power.Actually,to little power can be harmful.Here is a link that should help. www.audioasylum.com
Old 07-05-00, 03:29 PM

That should be a great set-up. If it were mine I think I'd set the amp gain down a little extra just to assure that you don't overdrive the speakers. Since they are 6 ohm speakers and your amp appears to be easily stable down to around 2 ohms it should be able to pump out about 375 watts to them. The speakers are rated to 200 watts so this is almost double their rating. If you turn down the gain a little you should have lots of headroom and your amp will run a little smoother since it is turned down a little.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.
Old 07-05-00, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is a little more power than you need, but they will do fine. I have NHT VT-2's and a Sunfire CG; I have never gone beyond half volume (it's way to loud...).

Just remember, with a clean signal you can overpower speakers without much problem; but if you get a crappy source, turn it down. My point is you don't want to over drive a clipped or trashed signal.