Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Buying Energy Speakers online, or any others...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Buying Energy Speakers online, or any others...

Old 07-05-00, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the past week or so I have been intensely looking at Energy's Take 5 speaker package. I went by a local authorized retailer and listened to these marvels of audio equipment. I talked to the owner about seeing these speakers advertised online for much less than what he was quoting me. He told me to beware of some of the internet only sites that sell speakers. He was pretty sure Energy doesn't sell their speakers to Internet only companies. I listened to what he said and decided to do some investigating. I emailed two of these sites that have the Take 5 package at a great price. I asked them if they were authorized by Energy to sell their speakers, and also if I were to purchase the speakers from them, would Energy honor the warranty. I then went on and emailed Energy to see what they had to say about this. My first response was from one of the internet sites that was selling the speakers (the other has yet to respond). They told me the speakers come with a FULL WARRANTY. This answered part of my question, but not all of it. So I quickly sent a reply asking them if Energy would honor that warranty. Soon after, the next email came. Still no answer to my question. I was just trying to get a simple answer from this company, but instead I was getting a lecture and being pressured to buy these speakers "before it's too late!". I did not think this was a very effective way to do business. Finally, a reply from Energy came. Joe Fraser of Energy sent me a nice and informative email about Energy's position on selling over the Internet. Joe told me that this particular company was not authorized to sell Energy speakers. Energy only sells to "qualified audio retailers. These are the types of retailers we try to choose to sell our products." As far as honoring warranties from speakers sold by these sites Joe said, "that varies by state. Some states obligate us to honor the warranty, but in the states that don't, we do not honor it. Its our only defense against unauthorized retailers abusing the ENERGY brand image and trying to make a quick buck." While initially I was disappointed that I wouldn't be buying my speakers online and saving some money, I am now glad that I am buying these speakers from my local Energy retailer. I now know exactly where these speakers are coming from. No chance of re-packaged equipment, used speakers, or missing parts. While I know many of you will continue to buy online, as will I, just remember to look into things very carefully before making your purchase. Thanks.

If anyone would like to know the name of these company and get a copy of the emails, I would be glad to send them. Just email me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by GaTechME (edited July 05, 2000).]
Old 07-05-00, 07:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I commend Energy on their handling of this with you. I have found other speaker companies to be equally helpful in confirming whether a particular retailer is authorized. I have also found a couple of e-tailers that carry high-end audio equipment usually only sold thru retail stores that sell mail-order or over the web (they have retail outlets, and you usually have to call them to get pricing - prices aren't posted). They identify them selves as factory authorized, and if you call the mfg they will confirm (or not) the claim.