Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Check it! Got my new 32" Wega and it rocks!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Check it! Got my new 32" Wega and it rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-00, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borrowed the boss's SUV today and went to Circuit City to pick up my brand new Sony Wega KV-32FS16 television. I decided not to wait until Wednesday for the delivery. And man, is it going to be a great 4th of July - this t.v. is just amazing! It looks cool even when it's turned off, just sitting there in my living room. Circuit City hasn't even put these sets out on the floor yet, but I asked for it specifically by model number, and they sold me one. And I'm here to tell you, this is the best t.v. you can buy for $1000.

The biggest reason to buy this year's model (besides the price drop), is the 16:9 enhancement mode. After setting up the t.v. with the Avia disc, I put in the Sleepy Hollow DVD, set at 16:9 ratio, and the Wega set at 16:9 mode as well, and it is just astonishing. My girlfriend and I sat there with our jaws on the floor! I saw things - colors, textures, details - in the first 30 minutes of that movie that I had no idea were even there. Simply awesome. I will be watching all of my 16:9 enhanced DVDs again over the next few weeks.

For reference sake, I noticed none of the problems that some have complained about on previous models of this set - no wavy picture, no color distortion on one side of the screen, and no geometry problems. The only thing I noticed, was in doing the black level test on the Avia disc, the top 2" or so of the screen seemed to be slightly brighter than the rest. But this was the only time I noticed it, and when watching movies, even in letterbox, the problem did not appear. This could have been fixed when I adjusted the level. The other problem of course is it's weight. This is one of the heaviest appliances I now own. It was like carrying in a washing machine!

The KV-32FS12 is the other new model, which is the same as the FS16, except without PIP. The FS12 is less than $1000. If you are looking for a 32" set and have a grand to blow, this is the machine. I now have a reason to buy only anamorphic widescreen DVDs.
Old 07-04-00, 05:15 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Congratulations. I love my Wega too, although it's a 27" unit. Especially the bright, sharp picture.

The best test for waviness is by watching tennis (what do you know, Wimbledon is on) and see if the lines are straight near the edges of the screen. On mine they look nice and straight although I sometimes hear people complain that they look wavy on their Wega.
Old 07-04-00, 06:19 PM

Congratulations,I`ll bet those DVD`s will look fantastic on that set.
Old 07-05-00, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats on the new TV. The new Wegas sound great. Does the FS16 model have 2 tuner PIP? I can't find much info on these yet. Also, can you elaborate on the 16:9 feature? I'm a bit lost on this. I'm really interested in picking one up just never spent $1K on a TV.
My 27" Panny Superflat is great but I want a bigger picture and component inputs. Thanks,
Craig

------------------
My Homepage

DVDTracker List
Old 07-05-00, 03:56 AM

cwwallace : About the 16:9 feature. Take an animorphic DVD do have (the ones that say "enhanced for widescreen televisions") and pop it in your player. Set up your player to display the disc in widescreen mode, or 16:9 mode, or whatever your player calls it.

You'll notice the picture looks stretched out, and it fills your screen mostly. This will look normal on a widescreen TV because it is also stretched out horizontally. The Wega's are able to take the tall picture, and squash it down to normal letterbox size. You get about 25% more resolution this way, and you don't get any downconversion artifcats. (Downconversion is what happens when your DVD player has to take an animorphic title and make it viewable on a standard 4:3 television. Its a pretty complicated process.)
Old 07-05-00, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that you've seen a dvd movie without scan lines, I'll bet you wish you had a larger display (unless you're already on top of the one you have).