Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

blu-rays on ps3's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blu-rays on ps3's

Hi,
I have a question, i have a PS3 and i have an HD flat screen tv, and when i use my PS3 for blu-rays sometimes, i don't notice a difference in picture quality like ur supposed to see in comparison to dvd quality. do i need an HD cord for my PS3? cause if thats the case, i dont have an HD cord and that my be the own reason im not seeing any difference in picture quality.
If anyone has any idea can you let me know? thanks
-tom
Old 03-24-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: blu-rays on ps3's

Yes you need the HDMI cable or "HD cord" to view HD content "blu-rays" from a PS3. You need an HDMI cable anyway if you are playing PS3 games. I can't imagine how horrible they must look with the cables that came with the system. They will turn your $400 paper weight into something that's actually useful.
Old 03-24-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah you NEED hdmi cord. I actually was at neighbors few days ago. He was playing cod5 and OMFG. I thought to myself what the hell is wrong iwth the picture, then I looked at the back of his ps3. He was using the composite cable only(the yellow cord).

Now of course I know the difference and whatnot , but I just had never seen the ps3 hooked up that way. I use hdmi. But man I was stunned at how bad it looked.

Get yourself a hdmi cord asap.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 06-24-09, 02:24 AM
cko
Cool New Member

another tip is not to pay more than $10 for an HDMI cable, especially the $50+ ones they'll push on you at best buy. with hdmi, if it works at all (at 1080p 120hz), it's working as good as it ever will.
Old 06-24-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

www.monoprice.com

thank us later.
Old 06-24-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, you need to hook up with HDMI, but lets be clear, it is not a HD cable. HDMI carries the signal and that is that. You don't need a "HD HDMI" cable. So watch out for marketing. Monoprice is the way to go.

And with that, yes you MAY see a difference between BD and DVD. I say may as it depends on your display quality, size, sitting distance and quality of the BD and DVD. For example, if you have a 32" Polaroid LCD that you sit 18' from, then I doubt you will see any difference.

And IMO, if you see a difference I doubt it will be the night and day difference you might be expecting. The biggest difference, imo, I see is not in sharpness, but in color saturation, black levels and depth. Good BD has an almost 3-D look to is. Tho I have seen this a little anyway with a good quality DVD as well.....
Old 06-24-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you have to admit, that is probably as close to a Polaroid 32" as you would want to get.