DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Looking for new receiver...

Old 02-23-09, 09:30 PM
Cool New Member

Looking for new receiver...

I have been using an old receiver and am looking to upgrade. I have looked at the Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH. Anyone have this receiver, any comments? I was recently comparing receivers and am now considering Denon as well. I was comparing the 2809 and 3808. I found a relatively good deal on each, although this is still a bit more than I was planning to spend. The network capabilities of the 3808 sounds like a good way to keep up to date. Are these worth the money? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-23-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Looking for new receiver...

I'd search as we have this discussion about once a week it seems like.

What speakers do you have. What is your current receiver? Why do you want to upgrade?
Old 02-23-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Pioneer VSX-01TXH and love it. Looks and sounds awesome. I practically stole the thing though because I only paid $350 for it back in November. If you can find the 1018 it's uses the same parts as the Elite model, minus an input or two, and is a cheaper alternative.

The Pioneer 1018/01TXH competes with the Denon 1909 though so the other two you mentioned are higher up in Denon's line up. You will probably be happy with any of them.
Old 02-23-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marantz fan here. Give them a look. What's your maximum budget?
Old 02-24-09, 05:18 AM

Speaking of new reciever, I have been on the look out for a new one myself.

I have narrowed down to two recievers, either the Marantz SR5003 or Denon 2309 (or 2808 if it still can be obtained for a cheap price)

My speakers are the wharfedale diamonds, so as to what reciever is better for them, its something I will have to decide.
Old 02-24-09, 09:41 AM
Cool New Member

I currently have a Sony receiver that has been great for the past 14 years. By the age of it, you can assume why I want a new one. It still works great, but missing everything new. I have yamaha satelite speakers with a powered sub containing two 8". I included the 2809 in my search because a local store would sell it for about $100 more than the pioneer (they are out of the 2808). I liked the network ability of the 3808 but not sure if that is worth the money. Two different salesmen from different stores said that would allow firmware updates in the future, which sounded like a very good feature. Thanks
Old 02-24-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by undkid View Post
I currently have a Sony receiver that has been great for the past 14 years. By the age of it, you can assume why I want a new one. It still works great, but missing everything new. I have yamaha satelite speakers with a powered sub containing two 8". I included the 2809 in my search because a local store would sell it for about $100 more than the pioneer (they are out of the 2808). I liked the network ability of the 3808 but not sure if that is worth the money. Two different salesmen from different stores said that would allow firmware updates in the future, which sounded like a very good feature. Thanks
The network capabilities are good for internet radio and if the receiver allows streaming from your computer. Firmware updates in not a reason to get a network receiver. My receiver needed a firmware update 1 time and all I had to do was burn it to CD, attach my cd player via optical and hit play.

As for receiver choices...are you keeping those speakers?
Old 02-24-09, 12:51 PM
Cool New Member

I was planning on keeping the speakers. They have performed well since the day I bought them, always had great sound. Just for further info, the yamaha satelites are NS-A325, the powered sub is a YST-SW200. The center channel and rears are Technics. They aren't the highest quality, but have good sound and are capable of handling up to 200 watts (according to the manual).
Any input is appreciated, thanks
Old 02-24-09, 12:54 PM
Cool New Member

btw I don't care so much about internet radio. computer streaming is nice, but not necessary. I am mostly concerned about a receiver becoming obsolete (again) and having to rebuy as new options become available.
Thanks
Old 02-24-09, 02:34 PM

btw I don't care so much about internet radio. computer streaming is nice, but not necessary. I am mostly concerned about a receiver becoming obsolete (again) and having to rebuy as new options become available.
Thanks
You can't worry about it becoming obsolete. Firmware updates won't help that and anything that does pertain to firmware can be handled in other ways besides network capabilities.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your speakers are so-so, and they are mismatched which is one of the biggest no-no's in HT. you can mismatch fronts and backs, just not fronts and center. unfortunately, they are discontinued. but if you can find one that matches your fronts, you will be much better off. i think the c325 would match if you could find it. you should lower your budget on your receiver and spend the difference on a center.

Since you have no plans on upgrading your speakers, I would go with a budget minded receiver that has the current HD-audio processing on it.

Ones that would serve you well...

Yamaha 663
Onkyo 606

The 663 has analog inputs so you could upgrade to separate amps later if you get better speakers and the 606 has 4 HDMI inputs but no analog.

You don't need anything bigger and better because you arent driving much.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 02-25-09 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

let me rephrase, I don't plan on upgrading speakers at this time. I have been trying to improve my system one part at a time since I can't afford everything at once. Last year I upgraded to a 50" pioneer plasma (720p but I don't notice the difference, it looks great). This year I was hoping to upgrade the receiver. Speakers could come next. they are mismatched because I bought them at different times. When I bought the yamaha's I had no use for center or rears, HT wasn't popular or important. I am looking for a good receiver not just for now but for possible future upgrades.
Thanks for all the advice
Old 02-24-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

let me rephrase, I don't plan on upgrading speakers at this time. I have been trying to improve my system one part at a time since I can't afford everything at once. Last year I upgraded to a 50" pioneer plasma (720p but I don't notice the difference, it looks great). This year I was hoping to upgrade the receiver. Speakers could come next. they are mismatched because I bought them at different times. When I bought the yamaha's I had no use for center or rears, HT wasn't popular or important. I am looking for a good receiver not just for now but for possible future upgrades.
Thanks for all the advice
Well, personally...assuming your Sony is a surround receiver, then I'd upgrade speakers first. Nothing and I mean nothing will effect the sound more then changing speakers.

Yes, going to a Denon (or H/K or Onkyo) would be an improvement over the Sony in sound quality, but not near as a dramatic of change as speakers.

Having said that, if you really want to go receiver first, then I'd look at the Onkyo 606 or the H/K 254. Very good value. Can drive a variety of speakers. And for the price, if you want to upgrade again in four years or so, you could do that.
Old 02-24-09, 08:37 PM

Change the speakers first if you want a big difference in sound.
Old 02-24-09, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

I don't really want to upgrade to a new receiver again in a couple years. The one I have has lasted a long time and hoping for another good performance. I am however hoping to take advantage of the new sound technologies. I have a PS3 for blue ray disk, but my current receiver only has dolby pro logic, nothing above. I bought it new in 1994/95 and dolby pro logic was the newest thing at the time. I realize newer speakers will sound better, but at the same time I can't take advantage of the newer sound tracks with my current receiver either.
Old 02-25-09, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by blued888 View Post
Change the speakers first if you want a big difference in sound.
I agree with this here.

Thats what I have been doing, getting the speakers first. I got mine off Ebay, and I think I saved over 50% compared to buying them in a retail shop. (The prices of some brands in Australia now is just so expensive)

As a priority, if you cannot afford everything first, try and get good quality speakers for your front left, right and center. You can always upgrade to surrounds later on.

Thats what I did, and my Onkyo 595 sounds heaps better with the new speakers I got.

undkid, since your system can only do pro logic, maybe if you cant afford to get a new reciever with the latest support for sound, perhaps for the moment you can try and find a cheap 5.1 receiver on Ebay to get you by for the moment?

Last edited by thundergod; 02-25-09 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-25-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't really want to upgrade to a new receiver again in a couple years. The one I have has lasted a long time and hoping for another good performance. I am however hoping to take advantage of the new sound technologies. I have a PS3 for blue ray disk, but my current receiver only has dolby pro logic, nothing above. I bought it new in 1994/95 and dolby pro logic was the newest thing at the time. I realize newer speakers will sound better, but at the same time I can't take advantage of the newer sound tracks with my current receiver either.
But what we are saying is those newer soundtracks won't make a difference on those speakers. (sorry if that is being blunt). But with cheap mis-matched speakers you are just going to have crappy sounding lossless. (btw the way, I'm not saying there won't be any difference, but it won't be worth the upgrade difference)

And getting a H/K 254 or Onkyo 606 would not "require" and upgrade. They has all the latest bells and whistles. But that is my point; receivers will always have new bells and whistles or cool new blue/green/pink light. Many who bought a receiver just two years ago are upgrading again now. And they may upgrade again in two years. No one know what latest and greatest is coming out next for receivers or source material. Or what cool connection, or 15 HDMI inputs or whatever. That is why IMO you don't want to spend a lot of money on features on a receiver. There will always be something new. Now if you want to spend you money on good sounding or lots of clean power, then fine (see Outlaw). But IMO buying a receiver for features alone, will mean you will need to upgrade again.

However, good sounding speakers never go out of style. They never need upgrading.

Again, your sony receiver (assuming it is 5.1) with nice speakers will overall sound 100% better then getting a Denon with those speakers with lossless. And trust me, I'm no Sony fan!! LOL.
Old 02-25-09, 08:42 AM

I know you are getting a lot of different opinions but I will just say this based on what you are looking to do...

1- Yes, new speakers will be a big upgrade. And while I agree that it will make the biggest impact, you don't even have Dolby Digital right now so I would upgrade the receiver.

2- Based on your current speakers, you don't need some high power receiver. You are looking for something with HDMI that gives you the latest and greatest codecs.

3- You don't want to upgrade (the receiver) in the future.

based on these criteria my advise is to buy a Yamaha 663. It has all of the latest HD-audio built in for processing. It also has discreet analog so when you do upgrade your speakers in the future you can add a 5 channel or 7 channel amp to give you more power if you need it. Will you need it? Maybe. It depends on your speakers. But you won't know that until you buy your speakers. And the Onkyo 606 can not do this.

For someone who doesn't think they are upgrading their speakers soon I would say go with either the Yamaha 663 or the Onkyo 606. But since you don't know your speaker situation, the Yamaha gives you the flexibility to add an amp if you need to later on.

The RX-v663 is the 2008 model and can be found for around $350. But these are going fast as they are out of production.

The RX-v565 is a 2009 model and retails for around $450. It has analog, decodes all the formats and has 4 HDMI inputs.

This method will keep your costs down for now, give you all of the HD audio you want and allow you for future upgrades. It's a no brainer.
Old 02-25-09, 01:11 PM
Cool New Member

Thaks for all the advice. It has been helpful. Honestly I hadn't noticed any problem with my current speakers, and so they weren't first on my list. My current receiver is not even 5.1 which is why I considered it first. When I get to speakers, what brands should I be looking for/comparing, what is a good average priced brand to look at?
Thanks again
Old 02-25-09, 01:34 PM

Thaks for all the advice. It has been helpful. Honestly I hadn't noticed any problem with my current speakers, and so they weren't first on my list. My current receiver is not even 5.1 which is why I considered it first. When I get to speakers, what brands should I be looking for/comparing, what is a good average priced brand to look at?
Thanks again
Totally depends on your budget and room size.

Don't judge speakers by rated watts. That's all marketing. Depending on your budget, we could put together a nice system for you at almost any price level.
Old 02-25-09, 03:26 PM

Yamaha RXV463. Its only $250.00 and will do everything you need it to do.
Old 02-25-09, 03:43 PM

When I get to speakers, what brands should I be looking for/comparing, what is a good average priced brand to look at?
Thanks again
With speakers, you are best off listening to some that may interest you, and then making your own decision. Let your own ears decide what you like best

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to speakers, some people may like the sound of one type, where as others may not like it.

I tend to believe that reading reviews especially on speakers can be a waste of time, because the review is based on whether that person liked them or not.

For example, when I was speaking hunting, I was choosing either between the Diamond 9.3 or Diamond 9.1 for my main L+R. I went with the 9.3 model as I found it sounding overall better, better bass and at same time not overbearing, had that right amount. At the same time I felt the 9.1 was lacking in bass when comparing to the 9.3. That is my opinion.

Last edited by thundergod; 02-25-09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Yamaha RXV463. Its only $250.00 and will do everything you need it to do.
This is a receiver that I recommend to a lot of people on a tight budget but I don't think it fits the bill here.

Since he isn't on a tight budget he should step up into a 663 with the analog capabilities for the future.

Now if he said he wasn't going to upgrade his speakers ever and was using a Blu-ray player that decodes internally, the 463 would be perfect.
Old 02-25-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks again

And if you are happy with your speakers, then you don't have to upgrade them. But I wouldn't get some top (or near the top of the line) Denon to drive them. I think that would be over kill. If you plan on keeping your speakers for a while, then I would look at the receivers mentioned in this thread (yamaha, Onkyo, H/K).

As for speakers, you must listen. Even good speakers sound different from each other. I agree Polk and Klipsch are good speakers, but not my favorite. But overall I'd look at the usual suspects,

Paradigm, KEF, B&W, Klipsch, Polk, NHT, SVS, Boston, Celestion, Mirage
Old 02-26-09, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
This is a receiver that I recommend to a lot of people on a tight budget but I don't think it fits the bill here.

Since he isn't on a tight budget he should step up into a 663 with the analog capabilities for the future.

Now if he said he wasn't going to upgrade his speakers ever and was using a Blu-ray player that decodes internally, the 463 would be perfect.
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
And if you are happy with your speakers, then you don't have to upgrade them. But I wouldn't get some top (or near the top of the line) Denon to drive them. I think that would be over kill. If you plan on keeping your speakers for a while, then I would look at the receivers mentioned in this thread (yamaha, Onkyo, H/K).

As for speakers, you must listen. Even good speakers sound different from each other. I agree Polk and Klipsch are good speakers, but not my favorite. But overall I'd look at the usual suspects,

Paradigm, KEF, B&W, Klipsch, Polk, NHT, SVS, Boston, Celestion, Mirage
I completely agree with Sdallnct here . I have the 3808 and I think for your purposes it would be over-kill. If your happy with your speakers then you don't need a $700 and up AVR. If you shop around you could get the 663 for just a little more than the 463 and would be worth it for what you need. The other AVR you might want to look at is Onkyo's 606, I think you can find a really good price on that AVR if you shop around. Go to AVS and read up on these AVR's people are suggesting and see which ones you like then you can go listen to them(if you can).
When your ready to upgrade your speakers,you need to find your budget then go listen to speakers in that price range. It doesn't always work that way but you have to start somewhere.
Like Sdallnct said if your worried about SQ you are way better off putting most of your $$$ into the speakers than anywhere else.
Old 02-26-09, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post
I completely agree with SoSpacey and Sdallnct here . I have the 3808 and I think for your purposes it would be over-kill. If your happy with your speakers then you don't need a $700 and up AVR. If you shop around you could get the 663 for just a little more than the 463 and would be worth it for what you need. The other AVR you might want to look at is Onkyo's 606, I think you can find a really good price on that AVR if you shop around. Go to AVS and read up on these AVR's people are suggesting and see which ones you like then you can go listen to them(if you can).
When your ready to upgrade your speakers,you need to find your budget then go listen to speakers in that price range. It doesn't always work that way but you have to start somewhere.
Like Sdallnct said if your worried about SQ you are way better off putting most of your $$$ into the speakers than anywhere else.
fixed

except, as someone who has recommended the 606 many times in the past, i don't think it's the right recommendation here. no analog means no adding separate amps in the future. while he is keeping his speakers for now, he may upgrade in the future. the 663 allows him to add amps to his system and use the yamaha as a pre/pro in the future. you can't do that with the 606.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.