DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

2 broken HDTV's, fixing one myself tomorrow, any tips?

Old 02-19-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
2 broken HDTV's, fixing one myself tomorrow, any tips?

I have a 61" Sammy DLP that died 4, yes 4 days after the warranty expired. The color wheel is shot. This happened a month ago. Now my 32" LCD died, but it's still under warranty, but since it's under 37", I have to wait for them to ship me a box, send it back to them, and wait for the return. Apparently if it was 37" & over they come to the house to fix them.

Anyhow, I just ordered a color wheel on Ebay and it will be here tomorrow. I watched a step-by-step youtube video of a guy changing the color wheel in the same TV as mine, so I'll be watching that while I do the deed. I know you have to be VERY careful not to touch the wheel to anything.

Has anyone here changed a color wheel? If so, any tips??
Old 02-19-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2 broken HDTV's, fixing one myself tomorrow, any tips?

Did you try contacting Samsung? A lot of companies would cut you a break if the product dies so soon after the warranty period.
Old 02-19-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a one year through Samsung (supposedly). I bought the TV Jan. 7th, 2006. I also purchased an extended 3 year warranty through a different company. Now, to me, that's 4 years of coverage, but this company says that since I didn't buy it through an authorized Samsung dealer (Bought it at IdealAV online), they start their warranty from the time the TV was purchased, not after the one year Sammy warranty, which they said was negated because their warranty kicked in. Samsung actually came to my house twice, once at 9 months, and once at 16 months after purchase. I fought with this warranty company telling them that my Samsung warranty was in affect because they were here twice to fix my shit for free. I fought with them to the point that they hung up on me.
I told them that the warranty expired 4 days prior, and they said "Maybe we can help you out, but it is $165 for the guy to come to your house, and we need credit card info first. Screw that, I don't trust them. The name of the warranty company was CPS I believe.
Old 02-20-09, 03:27 PM

I would suggest doing additional research on the repair procedure, and not rely solely on the YouTube video. There may be other subtle 'background info' stuff you need to know about that cannot be conveyed via a video.
Old 02-20-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can try filing with the BBB. You have to find the office that covers their location, not yours. But it will probably depend on what exactly the warranty says.
Old 02-20-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I didn't watch the YouTube video and had it fixed in 43 minutes (from unscrewing first screw to screwing last screw)!!! Man am I stoked!! TV works perfect...bring on the BluRays!!!

As for the warranty, they talked circles the entire time. They said that there was no way that Samsung gave me a one year warranty because it was purchased from a non-authorized dealer, and I said 'Samsung was at my house twice to fix my TV for free, so how wasn't it covered under their warranty?'. I also pointed out that on my CPS warranty card, it said that their warranty picked up AFTER any manufacturers warranty ended, which would've gave me four years, then they would say 'That would be true IF you had a 1 year manufacturers warranty'...I FUCKING DID!!!! I was so pissed talking to them and completely lost control, they actually hung up on me twice for my screaming & swearing. So, I'm out $94 but I did fix my TV, but the year ahead should still be under warranty and it's not...but hey, I can change the bulb and the color wheel, so what else could go wrong that I can't fix for $100?
Old 02-21-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes it actually feels better to DIY. Congrats!

I'd still drop a note on them ith the BBB. Maybe you can get your $$$ for the warranty back.