Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CSW MovieWorks 308/408? (opinions/prices)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

CSW MovieWorks 308/408? (opinions/prices)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-00, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the market for some new speakers and was hoping to get some advice from anyone out there. I have checked audioreview.com, but would prefer to hear some of your opinions.

I'd rather not spend more than $500 (which I know is not much). They will be used for 70% movies and 30% music, in a 15'x15' room. And need to be small.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Old 03-16-00, 07:30 PM
Cool New Member

I currently own the CSW Ensemble IV system. I replaced the passive sub with a 120 watt KLH 10" sub. Really kicks now. I have had this system for going on 3 years. Still running Dolby Pro-Logic until finances allow me to get DD. But, I can honestly say I love this system. For a first HT system you cannot beat the price. I would go for the Movieworks 308 (if that is the one with the bigger center and fronts), worth the extra money.

Brad
Old 03-16-00, 09:34 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

I just purchased the 308s and an Onkyo 575 last week.

Are the 308s worth the extra $200? For me they were. I spent about an hour having the salesperson switch between the two with various source material. Both speaker sets are great, but the 308 offers a richer sound thanks to the larger center and left/rights (the surrounds and sub are the same). However, had I never heard the 308s, I would have been very happy with the 408s.

Remember, Cambridge has a 45-day trial period so you can try them in your own setup.

Hope this helps.

-J
Old 03-17-00, 12:13 PM

I am currently using the 408 speakers as main and surround. And Centerstage as the center (I know, it is not quite balanced with the othe speakers but I got a great deal. Eventually I will get the Towers)

Anyway, they are the BEST, period, for the price. If you have a small room get them. They are compatible with the $1000 boss speakers if not better. Check the reviews on http://www.audioreview.com. You won't regret.

Nevertheless, make sure you get the Cambridge 8" or 10" sub. They are powerful enough for a small room. Bigger is not necessary better for small room. I bet most of the time you don't need that much power so wasted. I would say a 8" would be enough for the size of your room.

Buy them at www.hifi.com and get a free Samsung DVD player ($200 value) and free shipping.

Tekken

[This message has been edited by Tekken (edited March 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Tekken (edited March 17, 2000).]
Old 03-20-00, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the input! I think I'll be buying these this week.

Tekken-I didn't see the free DVD player offer ont their page... do you know of a link, or where I could find this on their page?
Thanks again!
Chris