Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm looking to build a sub amp, any advice?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I'm looking to build a sub amp, any advice?

Old 03-19-00, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning to start building an amplifier to run some subs probably 3- JL Audio 8-W6s'. Yes, I know they are car subs, but they are very good drivers and I'm not using them for anything else so I figured why not. Anyways back to the amplifier, want around 400 watts RMS have looked at:
http://www.vision.net.au/~anthony/

He has schematics for some very large amplifiers available as well as printed circuit boards for a symetrical MOSFET and an N-channel MOSFET amp. Has anyone out there ever built their own amplifier, if so do you have any advice on where to get good deals on parts, schematics, boards, etc. Or have you run into any problems. Thanks a lot in advance.

[This message has been edited by dchaug (edited March 19, 2000).]
Old 03-20-00, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless you have access to test equipment (multimeters, oscopes, frequency generators, real time analyzers, etc), I'd advise against trying to build your own amp. But if you have a healthy interest in electronics and are versed in electronics/electrical engineering design concepts, then you might be a suitable candidate to build an amp right.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 03-20-00, 12:17 PM

Yes, I have access to test equipement. I am a junior electrical engineering student. I've been thinking of doing this for about a year now. But I have a co-op job now and can actually afford it. Probably won't start construction untill summer, but I'd like to get everything ordered and ready to go.
Old 03-20-00, 12:21 PM

From my experience the biggest hurdle you are going to have as far as cost is the transformer aspect. These suckers can be expensive especially if you are looking to power 400 watts.
Old 03-20-00, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

check here and

here for other plans.

------------------
Old 03-20-00, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the links Patman. That leach amp looks pretty cool.
Old 03-20-00, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

dchaug, Prof. Leach was one of my favorite EE profs (though I didn't really pursue an EE career once I graduated), and he always had cool stuff like that laying around. I built a pair of his Leach speakers (3-way). Their low end isn't too great (40Hz or so), but they sound good with a subwoofer thrown in the mix. My homepage has more info on them too.

------------------