Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have this Yamaha center speaker?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy a Yamaha center speaker. I wanted the NSc444 but its too big. So now i am looking at the NSC225 Does anyone have the speaker or know where I can find a review of it?

Also, I currently do not have a center speaker. I listen to TV in PHANTOM mode, asically the center merges with the left and right. Mu Yamha Tower speaker are directly to the left and right of my TV. Am I missing anything by not having a center since my others are so close to the TV?
Old 01-05-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Re: Does anyone have this Yamaha center speaker?

Yes, yes you are. The center channel in a surround system puts out a lot of the sound. You don't want to skimp on the CC.

Having said that, rather then look at size, I'd look at what is the match to your current speaker. I don't know anything about Yamaha speakers, but I'd only get the match for what you currently have. Not sure what is a match? Check out their web site and/or e-mail them. It is important that they match.
Old 01-06-09, 08:58 AM

I'll have to look at what the model### of the current Yamaha speakers I have are. They are about 8 years old. They are probably similar to this..

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...0&CTID=5002900
Old 01-06-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you can get another one of your speakers, there is no reason you couldn't use that as a center channel. That is of course unless you are putting it close to your TV. Most "dedicated" CC speakers are shielded so they won't interfere with your TV. But this does nothing for the sound. So if your CC is not near your TV then you can just use a 3rd speaker like the fronts.
Old 01-06-09, 04:16 PM

My speaker are 5 feet high. They are floor standing speakers. I don't think I can put that in front of the TV. Anyway, it seems that Yamha has several types of speakers. I believe mine is a bss reflex design. So I thinkI should look at the NS-C125, since the NSC444 is to big. I really like the NS-C210 but its not a shielded speaker. The speaker would be under the TV, so I'm not sure if thats an issue or not.
I'm just not sure if the NSC125 is big enough. I like "Big" speakers...
Old 01-06-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL....you should listen to the sound and not worry about size. "Big" in and of itself is meaningless. Some of the best sounding speakers are not big. And of course there are some really sad sounding big speakers. One of the best sounding systems I have ever heard included a pair of KEF 101's. I have rarely, very rarely heard anything that came close. Anyway....

I would also see how it sounds in your system.

Yes, if it is near your display, then you need shielded. Typically is sounds best and seems most natural if your speaker is close to the display. You could move it about a foot away and that might be all you need to not get interference. But, depending on the speaker, it may seem odd that the sound comes from a different spot then the people speaking on TV.